Adaptive cruise random braking

s2ulk

Hi all, I have ACC on my 2016 T6 caravelle. A couple times now I have been travelling in the slow lane on a dual carriage way and there has been a sharp exit to the left. When the car in front has taken the exit and brakes in doing so, my caravelle has slammed the brakes on even though there was no prospect of a collision. It’s also happened when a car pulled out of the fast line into the central reservation on the A1 to cross over the oncoming traffic on the A1 into a side road on the other side (one of those weird crossings on the A1). It seems pretty dangerous as a car behind could slam into me if they don’t anticipate me braking suddenly (which they wouldn’t if they can see the road ahead of me is clear).

Has anybody experienced the same and, if so, is it just a limitation of ACC that it can’t cope with that sort of situation?

Thanks

It's a limitation of the system. ACC is not clever enough to know that a car is just crossing your lane or exiting the motorway. It has to react to whatever it 'sees' at the time.

We have a 2019 Skoda with ACC. I have triggered the auto braking a few times. The system isn’t intelligent enough to differentiate between various scenarios where a high speed differential exists between you and other cars.

Pete

Your supposed to get an audible warning and MFD flashes up ...but to busy watching the road to notice it...but it makes ur bum twitch ..then you hear WTF from the passenger seat :eek:

I currently have a 6.1 on hire whilst waiting for my new work van to be delivered (crafter). I will be honest the ACC is great in flowing traffic but the random braking makes me prefer the standard cruise on my T6 camper. Really annoying when you are following a car and it pulls into a junction, it brings you nearly to a stop.

Initially I was annoyed I couldn’t get it on the crafter (without 3 other options, very expensive) but pleased I didn’t spec it now. Each to their own though depending on driving style/roads driven on.

I wouldn't be without it now, my only bugbear is when you're doing 75 on the motorway and someone impatiently barrels past you and then pulls in front... 20 secs later you realise they've slowed and you're now both travelling slower than you were before :rolleyes:

As already said: It's a limitation of the system.

ACC needs to long to understand that the car in Front is using the Turn signal and that it is leaving the motorway.
So ACC has to think that you are following that car, and if that car breaks it has to break, too.
If you are in that situation you need to pres the pedal yourselve to shortly overcontrol the acc.

Don't do compare ACC from T6 to other VW Car's.
Most of them are using newer generations ACC together with the Camera, which is a bit better, but still no Tesla ...
T6 ACC is only used in:
- T6
- Caddy 2015+
- Sharan 2015+

I've managed to set it off by passing a stationary bus quite close - that is DAFT

I just tap the cancel button if I know it's going to get confused, and then tap resume after. To be fair I've driven several cars with more high tech systems where you need to do it too. No biggie, makes sure you're concentrating.

My wife's volvo has something like this. I'm sure one day cars will drive themselves, when they're smart enough. Until that day comes i wish they'd just let me get on with it. There's nothing more disconcerting than your car slamming on its own brakes for a reason that only it knows.

Back