Access to rear quarter panel

peter61@

I need to get access behind the rear quarter in my T6. It has a Fiamma awning mounting bracket which I need to replace ( for reasons that I won’t go into ☹️). Do I need to take off rear light, panel below it and bumper, or do I access from the wheel arch? The original was riveted in, but I need to through-bolt the replacement.
I’ve been able to re-seat the bumper after this photo was taken.
7B1C1C4B-7034-485D-B5D1-2A496D9CBBD9.jpeg

Think that access would be inside the van behind wheel arch there's a narrow deep pocket. that bracket would just be surface mounted and pop riveted from out side the van you might see it taking the light out ,if its not insulated insideIMG_1373.JPG

Last edited:
Drill out the rivets and replace with rivnuts from the outside?
I would drill out the rivets from the outside. Start with a drill bit that is about a mm or two bigger than the hole in the rivet. (Not the hole that the rivet itself went in to!) The aim is to drill off the "cap" of the rivets and the fixing will come away for you.

Thanks for your advice all. I was able to drill out the rivets but the lower hole was elongated by the trauma when the bracket was damaged. So now a replacement rivet doesn’t grip in the lower hole so hoping to get behind it so I can use a bolt.
The inside of the van is lined so I can’t access it from inside. I may take the bumper off and see if there is any chance of access from underneath.
And I will investigate “rivnuts” to see if they are a thing and if they may be an option.
cheers

Even on a lined van the panels should be removable as they are normally fitted with hidden clips.
Try levering the panel edge up with a trim tool or similar.

Even on a lined van the panels should be removable as they are normally fitted with hidden clips.
Try levering the panel edge up with a trim tool or similar.
And if the panel was carpeted in place you could cut a 3-4" hole so that you can get your hand in and cover it with a vent or similar when your finished.
You might need a backing plate inside the van to give additional strength to the bracket.

Thanks all, I bought a Rivnut kit as that seemed the simplest way to fix it. The van has panels inside that are removable but with a bed in there it is a fair bit of work to get access.
The rivnuts worked perfectly, with the correct size hole drilled they are now secure and bracket re-attached. Thanks to Sim60 for the suggestion!

Back