A hellish road I had to travel 3 times.

tram

Engineer
T6 Pro
I was helping a friend this week move to Wakefield in Yorkshire. I did three trips from near Keighley, and I took the A650 which runs all the way to it. There are other ways, about 35 I am told! The sat nav couldn't be programmed for it, so I just had it on to help a bit, but mainly just to be able to check the speed limit every two seconds.

Well, what a built-up route, constant, and tricky, really tricky. I was simply following the signs for the A650. Sounds simple enough, but it is just sooooo built up and sort of really old road ways which have been cobbled and joined over the years, dog leg after dog leg. Junctions, busy, many lanes, traffic lights, roundabouts, this lane, that lane, bus lane, not bus lane, 30, 50, 30, 40, national, 30, 50.... and all the time the is the traffic coming at you.

You have to have concentration and stamina with it. The first second you relax a tiny momento you will be thrown on a motorway or do 34 into the numerous fixed and mobile speed cameras because you can only do so much multi tasking at any one time. It is hell, shear hell, and tests you beyond your limit. And you have to add to this that the signage is very very bad in a couple of places, unbelievable. We only sussed this by having to go over the journey again twice. Staggering.

The journey is 39 miles, and it takes 90 to 120 mins. It is a long time to be able to keep up the necessary fantastic concentration.

I looked in the road atlas as soon as I heard, and i knew then it would be a hellish pig whichever way it was sliced, a real stinker.

I will take the train when I visit. I got a bus lane ticket so far, I just hope I don't get a speeding ticket.....and this reminds me, I am there in a multi lane road clearly marked 40, say, and so many cars and van overtaking and undertaking at great speed. In this day and age I just don't understand how they manage to do that, like it is 1981 when everyone just drove as fast as seemed fit.

Anyway, there you go, just thought I'd get that hell off my chest.

Last edited:
I know you didn't do it for the money.......but £20!! They should be ashamed of themselves, some friend they are! :mad: :eek: o_O
It's in my sarcastic nature but I would've had to say something when they'd handed me that.
I did it to a customer once many years ago by accident! - 4 of us had done a full house of carpet in a day, it was a 200 mile round trip so a really early start and not home till about 8pm, as we were leaving the guy gave me a tenner and all I could say was "wow" apparently in a really sarcastic voice. The lad's were pulling my leg about if for weeks after.

Back