A Couple Of Random Questions Regarding The Interior.

Stewby

Nurse
T6 Guru
Hi.

First Question:
We currently have a Mazda Bongo which has a fantastic centre console bit that sits in between the two front seats. It has lots of little nooks and crannies for storing stuff in.
However, the seats do not rotate and the ones you can get for the Bongo involve removing the whole seat, turning it round then putting it back in.
The reason this has to do with a veedub is because I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to make a central console similar to the one in a bongo but that still works with the spinning seats?? We are hoping to get a VW next year (we have been saving hard as we want to buy it and get it converted at the same sort of time) but this is the one thing I think we will miss from the Bongo.
Pictures of these would be great.

Second Question:
I saw someone on a facebook page attempting to put in a cupboard with a metal pull-out insert (like the ones you get in kitchens that are about 150mm wide). It sounds like a really great idea but I am wondering about the noisiness.
Has anyone done this and how do you find it when you are driving and it is filled with tins of soup and stuff?? Do you find it makes quite a lot of noise or is it fine?? Do you add material to the racks to deaden the sound??

Thanks in advance for any replies.
:)

I would say.. that unless it was the height of the handbrake the no it won't allow for swivel.

If the console was removable then you could swivel the replace said console?.

From what I have seen there isn't anything on market to cater for both tasks.. but might be corrected.

Kitchen - do you have a link or photo of what you mention?.

@Davenjo might add a few wise words as they are experienced campers in this field.

Hi fish.

It is this style of cupboard. Not identical but very similar. It's the idea of metal tins being on the metal racks which make me think that it could possibly be noisy.

cupboard.jpg

Nice idea.. for me I would want four racks in thay cupboard to make the most of the tin space.
You could always use cloth tape wrapped round the top n bottom wire.

Nice idea.. for me I would want four racks in thay cupboard to make the most of the tin space.
You could always use cloth tape wrapped round the top n bottom wire.

Yeah, the plan would be to have more racks. The picture was just the first one that looked similar to what I wanted. I wasn't sure but maybe cloth tape might be the answer. I just wasn't sure how noisy it would be.

Yeah, the plan would be to have more racks. The picture was just the first one that looked similar to what I wanted. I wasn't sure but maybe cloth tape might be the answer. I just wasn't sure how noisy it would be.
Foam pad the bottom and tape sides?

Foam pad the bottom and tape sides?
We line all of our cupboards and shelves with a padded liner, eg. VARIERA Drawer mat Transparent - IKEA

I like the idea of the pull out racks but I think the design could actually use up more space than it saves when you try to fit in around everything else in and behind the units, eg., electrics, gas, water, drainage, etc., etc.. Our conversion has a similar level of handy storage for tins/bottles/condiments/etc. within a swing out door that sits in front of the fridge - this is brilliant but is additional space to what is available in the run of cupboards.

We have swiveling seats and there is no room left between the seats as they rotate so as Fish says, unless it is low level then it wouldn't work.
I agree with @Davenjo about the use of space with that cupboard though.
But as you have experience of what works for you, then I would suggest going to see some converters with your requirements and see what they can do. Some will offer more bespoke than others though.
Good luck with it all.

Hi Richi.
Do you know if this one still allows the seats to swivel??
The plan is to have the drivers one permanently facing forward but the passenger one to turn around (have read there are a lot of issues with the drivers seat catching on the handbrake and we don't really need both seats to turn).

You need to remove, swivel the seat then replace,it only attaches to the carpet with Velcro so takes seconds.I only have passenger swivel too.

Looks like a handy wee product. A couple of the reviews mention that it tips going round corners though?

Hi fish.

It is this style of cupboard. Not identical but very similar. It's the idea of metal tins being on the metal racks which make me think that it could possibly be noisy.

View attachment 36601
I have a run of units in my T5.1 and have fitted this pull out unit from B&Q ,its great keeps the wine coffie tea etc in iyt.
I don't have any problems with noise etc (but it is always well stocked)

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

Looks like a handy wee product. A couple of the reviews mention that it tips going round corners though?

I have a carpet covered block of wood between mine and the handbrake to stop it doing that :thumbsup:

Back