4 Motion Off Road Wheels Size Difference For Spare?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tyres' started by Mark Howkins, 18 May 2019 at 01:08.

1. Mark Howkins

Mark Howkins Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Intent - change wheel tyre combination for BF Goodrich

If changing the wheels/tyres on a 4 motion - do I have to keep the spare exactly the same size due to transmission system?

4 Motion T32 Steels - anything I should consider eg. size, big brakes etc.

2. Fish

Fish Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    2 initial thoughts.
    1. A spare is an emergency wheel in this case.. therefore it would be fine to get from A-2-B. I would leave it, if it was me.
    2. If you also upgrade your spare, will it fit in the carrier?. If not then it a whole new concern.

T32 will have the larger brakes.

3. Bryn23

Bryn23 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

You should have a spare the same size on a 4 motion, if not, use an inflation kit to get you to a tire shop, i'd hate to know how much a damaged driveline would cost.

I have been informed that 225/65R17 All terrain Kumho's fit by Trakka, (Australian Campervan manufacturer)

So the 225/65R17 KO2's should in theory fit, i do plan on fitting the Ko'2 in the next 3 months

Fish likes this.
  4. chriscroft

chriscroft 14 years of VW T 'ing VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    I run over sized tyres 235/60/17, but my spare in OEM 235/55/17.

My thoughts are, if one tyre were under inflated by 10psi or so, it would amount to the same situation, and that would be absolutely fine in terms of 4 motion.

So I keep the OEM spare, and maintain it at a high pressure, I'm 99.9% sure it is fine

Fish likes this.
  5. Mark Howkins

Map
    Ditto - BFG 225/65/17 fro me too. I just need to decide on refurbished Satin Black Steels or new New Satin Black Alloys, price difference is only around +200 for new Alloys, or +800 for the Rhino Warlords!!

6. Mark Howkins

Map
    I like your theory, in addition rolling speed of all wheels will be slightly different for all wheels dependent on road/terrain/cornering.

7. Fish

Fish Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
  8. Bryn23

im bias, but then again i have satin black rims

IMG_1036.JPG

9. duffersj

duffersj Member VIP Member

Nice wheels
    Where did you get them from ?

10. Bryn23

They are my factory 17 inch T32 steels that came with the van, the powder coater sand blasted them and powder coated them in Satin black for me.

Tags: