265/40/20 - Tyres in the Mud

Oadesy

Hi, I’m a newbie van owner and bought a T32 running 265/40/20 tyres. They look great but not good on slippy or muddy fields. This might be because they need replacing but I wondered whether it’s possible to get a good grippy all seasons tyre in this size or am I better selling the alloys and getting some smaller wheels? Your help is really appreciated!

I’d go for 17 or 18” wheels if you regularly venture into fields. There’ll be more choice of suv/all season focused tyres with the appropriate load rating for a T32. Wide tyres create more drag, so need more power to move them, they will weigh more so will have detrimental effects on suspension and braking.

Whilst I agree with @Scottish Scrutineer, you might consider something like the following on your existing alloys;

Although at about £300 a corner they're not cheap. It depends on the conditions you'll be travelling on, these won't perform on wet fields like an All Terrain tyre but they're said to be a very good all rounder with a limited ability on wet grass and they're load rated for a T32.

Whilst I agree with @Scottish Scrutineer, you might consider something like the following on your existing alloys;

Although at about £300 a corner they're not cheap. It depends on the conditions you'll be travelling on, these won't perform on wet fields like an All Terrain tyre but they're said to be a very good all rounder with a limited ability on wet grass and they're load rated for a T32.
I picked up a set of barely used Cross Climate 2 on load rated Thunder alloys (17”) for the price of 2 new 20” CC2 tyres.

Back