Pawter

Hi all,
I convinced myself I could figure this out for myself however it is doing my nut looking through feeds.

I’m looking to buy some Fox Racing MS007.
20” 9J ET38
The tyres I want to fit are 255 45 20

My T6 is going on to have Bilsteins fitted in June.

Will I get any rubbing - for the wrong reasons!

Any help would be greatly received.

Hi all,
I convinced myself I could figure this out for myself however it is doing my nut looking through feeds.

I’m looking to buy some Fox Racing MS007.
20” 9J ET38
The tyres I want to fit are 255 45 20

My T6 is going on to have Bilsteins fitted in June.

Will I get any rubbing - for the wrong reasons!

Any help would be greatly received.

Isn't a 45 profile on a 20" wheel a little excessive? Have you looked at 40s?

I didn’t want to go too small of a profile and sacrifice more ride comfort that’s all

If it helps, I'm running 255/45/19 on B14s on lowest setting, and it's very close under the arches, but no rubbing.

By close, you wouldn't get a finger between the tyre and the inner arch liner.

I ran 245/45/20s on my 20" RR Ghosts and I also ran 265/40/20s both the same rolling diameter

Hi all.
I’m going to buy some 20 inch TSW wheels.
8.5j et 35.
I want to run 255 width to reduce the mud splatter / paint work stone chips on side of van / wheel arch and reduce cathching risk. Plus a 255 tyre is already max reccomended tyre on a 8.5 j wide rim. 265 and above - it’s not recommended. 275s look too wide anyway and are ott imo.
I want to run 45 to give 115 mm side wall for comfort. As opposed to 40 which will be 102mm- too harsh ride. A 275 40 gives 110 so an extra 2.5 mm to the radius is negligible.
The van is t30 day van with very little weight inside. It’s basically an empty van apart from a pop top, solar / electrics and a van king bed frame.
I might buy a 101 xl tyre.
I fitted Bilstein b14. They are bang on middle setting on front.

Question please - has anyone run a 255 45 r20 on a 20 x 8.5 j rim ?

Thanks all.

I (and several others) run 245/45/20 up front on 8.5j rims. They are the same sidewall as 275/40/20 so pair well with the rears if you have 10j rears.

255/40 would be better to match original diameter more closely. If available in correct load.
245/40 are available in 103 load rating from Nankang.

I’m thinking 255 45 r20. Anyone running 255 45 ? 8.5 j.
You’re adding another 1cm to the overall diameter when compared to the 245/45, which is already about 2.7cm larger than original wheel/tyre diameter. So you’re nearly 4cm larger diameter than original.

You’re adding another 1cm to the overall diameter when compared to the 245/45, which is already about 2.7cm larger than original wheel/tyre diameter. So you’re nearly 4cm larger diameter than original.
Hi mate. Thanks for your reply.
I think your suggestion is good I just wondered about the fit of a 245 tyre on a 8.5 j rim. Essentially what will it look like.
Suppose I should just buy it and see.

You shouldn't be depending on your tyres for comfort, if anything in the 245-275 width and 40 profile is not comfortable or feels harsh then the problem is not the tyres and no amount of upsizing is going to fix it. The problem is your shocks. The perfect size 20" front tyre for a transporter T28/T30 is 255/40. Going much beyond this is going to make the van a little more slugglish on acceleration and on hills and put extra pressure on steering racks and other components.
Plenty of people running very comfortable on 20's with rides heights down over 100mm. Pay a bit for quality shocks or coilovers and enjoy the ride.

Back