204 "pause" at 2800rpm

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
Anyone else noticed a brief gap in the powerband at just under 3k rpm when revving through the gears?
Seems it doesn't happen all the time but I'm noticing more and more.
Possibly when the second turbo kicks in?

Anyone else noticed a brief gap in the powerband at just under 3k rpm when revving through the gears?
Seems it doesn't happen all the time but I'm noticing more and more.
Possibly when the second turbo kicks in?
I'll experiment later on today, I have dsg so the map may be different, I'll see

Mmm, had a play this morning, I didn't notice anything at around 3k, mines a manual though so maybe hard to replicate if yours is an Auto?

Mines manual too.
It's not a problem but just slightly odd.
I'll get it plugged in when I next pass a dealer.
Might be me being a bit OCD; I do find the power delivery feels quite artificial.

Looking at pendle dyno graphs on the stock 204 torque kicks in with the first turbo suddenly then tales off at around 2300rpm until the 2nd turbo kicks in then rises slightly giving vast power delivery.
Sounds like what you describe.

Looking at pendle dyno graphs on the stock 204 torque kicks in with the first turbo suddenly then tales off at around 2300rpm until the 2nd turbo kicks in then rises slightly giving more vast power delivery across the revs range.

Looking at pendle dyno graphs on the stock 204 torque kicks in with the first turbo suddenly then tales off at around 2300rpm until the 2nd turbo kicks in then rises slightly giving vast power delivery.
Yep it does - this is my third bi-turbo diesel but I didn't notice any "step" with the other two. I'm guessing it's a bit of lag in the bigger turbo.

@Polzeylad coming off roundabouts and then giving it the boot, I get a 1 second lapse in power. Not sure where in the rev range but it's probably turbo lag.

It's not a biggie but definitely what @Jonny describes. Almost like it's pausing for breath before the second turbo kicks in.

I have to absolutely spank the (single turbo but variable van/twin scroll/something or other) car to detect the merest hint of lag. A nice thing about the Subaru - no turbo which might not be the best for raw bhp/torque but it's a nice linear power curve with good throttle response.

All this electric throttle/steering/turbo/traction control/whatever makes for quick motors but they do all lose out of raw driver feel and ultimately, fun. But I guess most people don't care so that's the way the industry has gone.

Just found this post....as my 204 manual was doing exactly this yesterday! First time I'd properly driven it with some beans and the pause after each gearchange became very noticeable. I used to have a 180 T5.1 and found that to be very choppy at lower speeds / lower gears. After I got it remapped, the main advantage was to have a much more linear pull. I've a feeling that the same might be achievable with a remap on the T6.

I have the same issue with mine 204 manual. I notice it is more if it is not reach the normal engine temperature.

Does anybody know of a T6 204 diesel with a remap??
I am tempted, but I want to know it is just not over-fueling with puffs of black smoke.

I believe Pendle have done a few but I'm still a bit nervous about doing mine (although I'll probably do it anyway :))

On the lag side of things, I'm starting to wonder if it's also to do with the regen - it seems to do it more just after a regen burn? Also more noticeable when the engine is cold.

I think when we get ours done it will be with a remap from "Revo", I think their R&D/Back up support/etc etc is far superior to many others.

Back