15.3v reading from battery

Johnston97

I am getting a reading of 15.3v on my leisure battery when plugged in to charge. Is this normal or is there an error?

Could be a bit high.

I'd use a second multimeter to verify the reading...

You could get 15.3v with an AGM profile with cold temp compensation.... The charger can add voltage as the temp drops.

15.3V sounds tad high. I’ve seen 15.0 max on AGM battery at low temperatures (colder than -10°) with CTEK D250SA charger.

Hi all,

Thanks for replying.

This may be tied in with the fact our fridge has also gone off which is annoying and has caused all of our food to go off - not ideal whilst we are currently away in the highlands.

I am a newbie to this so I’ve attached some photos of the problems we are having which is:

1. Our battery is showing 15.4v at times whilst plugged in to charge (battery has not gone flat recently but did drop to about 11v before we then plugged it in

2. Our fridge has then tripped but after restarting it and disconnecting the battery, it still is not working (see photos of both).

IMG_5195.jpeg

IMG_5193.jpeg

11v is pretty much flat, generally a lead acid based battery needs recharging when it drops below 50%, yours was under 10%

Does it often drop to these levels?

What are you using to measure your battery voltage?

nt%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F09%2FBattery-State-Of-Charge.png

I'm struggling to locate your charger, it seems to be this unbranded one. I can't find instructions but it does mention having a winter mode with raised voltage.

Fridge looks like it’s working in that photo.

Edit, i see in the later comment that the orange light is flashing. The instructions say to turn off using the powers switch then disconnect (remove fuse or disconnect from battery) leave for one minute and reconnect.IMG_5785.png

Last edited:
I only bought the campervan 2 months ago but that was the first time it dropped below. It’s now dropped down and showing 13.9. I’ve attached a photo of the reading we are getting inside the van.

Do you know why our fridge is now not working and just constantly flashing orange and do you have any fixes for this? I’ve tried everything I’ve found online but nothing seems to have worked.

Thanks again for your help.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Without any sensible manual it's hard to tell what your charger is doing, but it is advertised as a reconditioning charger. So if it started to charge a very depleted battery it may well have tried to "recondition" it by holding the voltage higher than normal - though that voltage if accurate is still very high.

If the voltage has settled such that the battery seems charged I'd try the full disconnect reset a couple more times. And make sure it's a full disconnect not just the fridge switch looking at other folks threads.

On a balance between a simple voltmeter and the voltage sensing of the fridge I'd give more weight to the fridge, ideally get a decent enough multimeter so you can cross check the fitted meter.

I would also recommend that you get your mains charger changed as soon as possible. An £18 unbranded maintenance charger is not the thing to rely on while camping. The Victron chargers are well regarded but NoCo and CTEK are other choices. With an 80Ah battery something around 7-10A would be ideal.

Glad some progress is being made if not as much as needed.

Compressor fridges take a high current to start the compressor motor, which can cause a voltage drop that then trips either the battery protection or the motor jam protection. It's a good idea to make sure the fridge is wired as directly as possible to the battery with good quality high current cable to minimise that voltage drop - you'll still need to ensure it's fused and ideally switched.

Not something you can check or fix while camping but something you can do before deciding the fridge has failed.

Back