“UK” on Reg Plate Requirements

TheBadger

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So, I understand if you have a Union Flag and UK identifier on your registration plate, there is no need for a slap on white UK sticker. No quibble there.

My query comes in two parts..

Is the registration plate Union Flag and UK identifier needed on BOTH front and back plates?? I.e. could the back plate have it (replacing oval sticker, obvious) and the front plate not? Why is it ok for a vehicle to be identifiable just from back with oval sticker, then need to be identifiable front and back with plates?

Also there doesn’t appear to be any guidance on what the required background colour should be for the Union Flag and UK identifier. The prev blue I understand was the background to the European stars, what is the required uk background colour (cue Brexit jokes)?

I just bought the number plate stickers from Amazon- they came as a pair, so put one on the front and one on the back.

I know the gendarmes can be zealous at times, but I doubt they are worried about the background colour.

Pete

Cheers @Pete C, appreciate two are always included, but why do we need the front identifier?

Where is it stated?

Below is the extract from gov.uk, no mention of requirement, re front or background colour.

Flags, identifiers and stickers​

You can display one of the following flags with identifying letters on the left-hand side of the number plate:
  • Union flag (also known as the Union Jack)
  • Cross of St George
  • Cross of St Andrew - also known as the Saltire
  • Red Dragon of Wales
The letters, or national identifiers, you can have are:
  • UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom or UK
  • GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain or GB
  • CYMRU, Cymru, CYM or Cym
  • ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng
  • SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO or Sco
  • WALES or Wales
The flag must be above the identifier. You cannot have the flag or letters on the number plate margin, and neither can be more than 50 millimetres wide.

Stickers for driving outside the UK​

You may need to display a white oval UK sticker on the rear of your vehicle when driving outside the UK. This depends on your number plate and where you are going.
You do not need a UK sticker if your number plate has the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack).
You must display a UK sticker if your number plate has any of these:
  • numbers and letters only, no flag or identifier
  • a GB identifier with the Union flag
  • a European Union flag
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
UK stickers have replaced the old white oval GBstickers. If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it before driving outside the UK.
Do not put the sticker on your numberplate.

Driving in Spain, Cyprus and Malta​

You must display a UK sticker to drive in Spain, Cyprus and Malta, no matter what’s on your number plate.

Driving in the Republic of Ireland​

You do not need a UK sticker to drive in Ireland no matter what’s on your number plate.

What do you have on your current number plates?
If you have plain plates at the moment just buy a magnetic UK sticker and bung it on the back, job done, no need to worry about flags and background colours etc.

You're overthinking this. The go.uk extract explicitly states a requirement for a UK sticker on the rear, so I would take that as there is no requirement for one on the front. As for colours - who cares? Again no requirement stated (so probably no restriction), but you'd have to go out your way to source anything other than a blank on white badge.

What do you have on your current number plates?
If you have plain plates at the moment just buy a magnetic UK sticker and bung it on the back, job done, no need to worry about flags and background colours etc.
Overlooking is the hazard of overthinking.

Magnets solve everything. Cheers @Ali-G

Back