Wiring issues found behind dash now with split charge issues, any help appreciated

bubz00

We’ve just bought one a second hand t5.1 van converted by Camper Kings a few years ago. CBE split charge/consumer unit/control panel.

Everything working well until this afternoon whilst I was doing some work around the dash and noticed a red defunct switch on the dash panel, lower right side of driver side under headlight switch. Behind the switch was several disconnected wires, some that were live when I tested them when ignition turned off, and others that were dead.
The wiring was all tucked around a yellow 5-pin Hella relay, which appears to be dual output (see photograph of schematic). The relay was found with two connections bare (connections 2 and 4), and I’m wondering if I have yanked a wire off the relay by accident. The consequence of this has been that my split charger light is no longer coming on, nor are my interior LED lights. However, the CBE control panel shows G (indicating battery charging from alternator) when engine running.

I'm not sure what the switch was doing there, but it was disconnected from the circuit and may have something to do with the several wire disconnected.

There was a two wire cable near the relay (labelled in photograph as ‘2 wire cable going into B-pillar and then to back of van). This had a black wire, which was grounded to the frame, and a red wire that was not connected to anything but had a female crimp connector as if it was to fit into a relay. Could this be the wire needing plugged into the relay? If so should it go to remaining terminal 2 or 4?

Wiring to the relay with associated numbers (as shown in photograph 2) when I found it was:

1 - 12v supply from vehicle (jumped from number 3)
2 - not connected
3 - 12v supply from vehicle
4 - not connected
5 - wire with female connecter not connect to anything (maybe was going to defunct dash switch?)

I am wondering if this relay and switch are for the split charger, and the switch was an emergency shut-off that had become disabled by previous owner? Based on previous experience with relays, the relay requires a ground (at terminal 2) to activate the coil, then it will need an output (terminal 4)? However, I don't understand what this relay is doing as it is being power by a constant supply instead of a switched 12v (i.e., acc output when key is turned on)?

I have some experience with wiring alarms, stereos, etc but this is basic and I have no experience with van conversions or split charge systems.

I have emailed Camper King but thought I'd open it up to the forums to help troubleshoot if anybody has any advice/input?

I’d be forever grateful to anyone who has some insight! If any further info required, please chime in.

Thank you for any advice.

Brian

(Photograph 1 of the wiring as found in the dash, photograph 2 is of the relay; L side is a drawing schematic from the relay; R side is of looking at the relay head on)

Relay in dash copy.jpg

IMG_2863.jpeg

Back