Windscreen Just Replaced Expensive Bill..,,,

N58amx

Carpeter
T6 Guru
Had autowindscreens out today...
Now i am still sulking after handing over£315 ...

After not finding hidden deep in insurance documents .the £350 ceiling limit on windscreen costs..

Are everyone else's policies the same ?

I simply assumed that i would have to pay the (normal) £75 excess

Live n learn i guess
That puts the cost of a heated front screen at around £600???

@N58amx Are happy to disclose the insurer that doesn't cover the windscreen for £75,as @Fish has mentioned, after reading the threads regarding screen and cracks etc I like to think I read the small print a selected the right insurer with windscreen cover.

I wouldnt take out insurance with a company that didnt cover screen, regardless of cover
Thought i was covered tbh..
Turns out the smallprint was buried deep inside 4 other emails with a link to upload and read ... page 96 out of 182 :speechless:

@N58amx Are happy to disclose the insurer that doesn't cover the windscreen for £75,as @Fish has mentioned, after reading the threads regarding screen and cracks etc I like to think I read the small print a selected the right insurer with windscreen cover.
Pukka insurance £350 windscreen replacement limit

Ouch, Gutted for you. I guess there is only ever one winner when it comes to any claim through the insurers

@PukkaT6 is a member on here who works for pukka insurers. I mentioned him in a previous post so that he is able to add his point across. I appreciate it may not be case specific but any light shed maybe beneficial for all.
Suppose £350 would cover a robin reliant windscreen :rofl:

Had mine replaced at the weekend . Had to get it done myself as AutoGlass had made two attempts but two broken screens . Phone Aviva and although they say max £135 if not done by AutoGlass they have now changed it to unlimited with £75 excess. Mine was £680 plus vat for a VW heated screen

My ears were burning and now I know why ha

The answer is yes we have a standard limit of £350 for windscreens.

Our policies are sold via brokers and so other than the trying to make this as clear as possible on our documents its largely their responsibility and yours to ensure the cover is suitable at point of sale. Please dont take that in a condescending manner - I have been caught out with insurance policies in the past and paid the price, thats not our intention and we are looking at ways of providing documentation thats free from insurer jargon and clear.

I will be honest and say that obviously I can totally understand your frustration and am unhappy that your experience has been tainted and have raised this internally. We pride ourselves on being open and honest and thats reflected by our pricing strategy which is aimed at people who have had claims and points and as long as they are honest about their driving history we are happy to insure them as accidents do happen (even to the best of us.)

FYI - More and more insurers are applying limits and its partly due to the fact windscreens are now alot more expensive due to heating elements and the cost of recalibration of ADAS technology. In many cases the cost of a replacment windscreen is more than the premium. Additional windscreen cover policies are becoming more and more popular for this exact reason. I can only advise people, especially with high end vehicles to check this at renewal.

As you can see we dedicate a section to this and try to make it as clear as possible.

38543321-A7B6-4B9B-B527-57D469890BF7.jpeg

Last edited:
My ears were burning and now I know why ha

The answer is yes we have a standard limit of £350 for windscreens.

Our policies are sold via brokers and so other than the trying to make this as clear as possible on our documents its largely their responsibility and yours to ensure the cover is suitable at point of sale. Please dont take that in a condescending manner - I have been caught out with insurance policies in the past and paid the price, thats not our intention and we are looking at ways of providing documentation thats free from insurer jargon and clear.

I will be honest and say that obviously I can totally understand your frustration and am unhappy that your experience has been tainted and have raised this internally. We pride ourselves on being open and honest and thats reflected by our pricing strategy which is aimed at people who have had claims and points and as long as they are honest about their driving history we are happy to insure them as accidents do happen (even to the best of us.)

FYI - More and more insurers are applying limits and its partly due to the fact windscreens are now alot more expensive due to heating elements and the cost of recalibration of ADAS technology. In many cases the cost of a replacment windscreen is more than the premium. Additional windscreen cover policies are becoming more and more popular for this exact reason. I can only advise people, especially with high end vehicles to check this at renewal.

As you can see we dedicate a section to this and try to make it as clear as possible.

View attachment 28851
Apprecciate you taking the time to respond..

And that is the issue ,
Once PURCHASED through a third party broker..
It is only then that these notices areahown up by pukka .
Yes ideally in a ideal world ,
Every customer would look deep into smallprint before purchasing .
With some brokers it is simpky not the case of finding this smallprint.

Also with regards to "pukka" insurance.
i apprecciate their is a 14 day cooling off period.
But on a £600 fully comp policy , no claims/no points/no convictions.
I still find it shocking with a £350 windscreen limit.
Perhapps you as a company (like you said above) need to raise this issue with your third party sellers .

Regards nick

Apprecciate you taking the time to respond..

And that is the issue ,
Once PURCHASED through a third party broker..
It is only then that these notices areahown up by pukka .
Yes ideally in a ideal world ,
Every customer would look deep into smallprint before purchasing .
With some brokers it is simpky not the case of finding this smallprint.

Also with regards to "pukka" insurance.
i apprecciate their is a 14 day cooling off period.
But on a £600 fully comp policy , no claims/no points/no convictions.
I still find it shocking with a £350 windscreen limit.
Perhapps you as a company (like you said above) need to raise this issue with your third party sellers .

Regards nick

Nick

Can you PM your reg so I can look into this.

Rich

Back