Window coverings/Curtains

GarryM

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Has anyone used/fitted the Vanshades window pods and if so are they good quality? Am considering purchasing a set for my van. Not cheap and worse when you have to ship to Australia.

Garry

I've just ordered one of their thermal screens and and made enquiries re the blinds as we've been looking for these for months. It's exactly what we want except they don't seem to use the material or colour I'm using. So waiting for replies, have seen other vans with them look great . It seems they all come ready to fit as a pod which solves many hassles for me.

I have been looking for months as well and after seeing a comment on the Forum yesterday I went directly to them asking about the Thermals. I had a bit of an odd answer and not what I expected. The answer was
"
Thank you for your enquiry. In terms of your request it’s a little early in certain respects. Namely we haven't yet developed a sliding door window pod for both sides. In addition to this we haven't yet developed the tailgate version for the T6. “

All windows should be the same as a T5 so am a bit surprised that they have not developed a full curtain set yet?????

I have been looking for months as well and after seeing a comment on the Forum yesterday I went directly to them asking about the Thermals. I had a bit of an odd answer and not what I expected. The answer was
"
Thank you for your enquiry. In terms of your request it’s a little early in certain respects. Namely we haven't yet developed a sliding door window pod for both sides. In addition to this we haven't yet developed the tailgate version for the T6. “

All windows should be the same as a T5 so am a bit surprised that they have not developed a full curtain set yet?????
Ha! You've got my reply methinks, unless we're both chasing the same !
I'll contact them as well but your right should just be mirrored, although is the inside door opener different on the T6?

I don’t think there is a difference that should have stopped the installation of the pod. Asked for a complete set, I have both slide opening windows in both side slide doors and also windows aft of the sliding doors. i.e windows all round. Am making it a camper so looking for full curtain/blinds set. They certainly look good in the photos. I went back to them today and suggested that I am happy to curtain across at the front seats but am definitely looking for a full rear set. I also purchased a SRA pop top and Cambee R & R bed / seat that were shipped from UK and delivered several months ago. Yet to fit as still doing upholstery of the 2 front captain swivelling chairs. Slow process.

Ah I still haven't heard yet. But we seem to be asking for the same only I'm not putting windows in rear so only need both sliders and rear window.
Personally I'll be happy with them just supplying the blinds I'll make the pod myself, although I was looking to make one complete cover.
I can't find blinds anywhere at the moment!

The other item I am trying to get is a Kirvans T5/6 door store for passenger side.

The problem is that the item is 99 pounds but they are wanting 125 pounds to ship. I am in Southampton on 28 September to catch a ship to Australia so may get them to send to the wharf but that may be a problem wiht the acceptance at the dock side!!! Shipping from UK to Aust is a PIA

Blurry Eek £125 shipping!!! I live near Southampton 10miles 5 mins off M27 might be able to help if it could be delivered to me you could pick it up on route?

Thanks for that offer. I am still trying to work it out with them but that is a solution and I may well take you up on that offer. They may then charge me VAT but it would be a whole lot cheaper than their shipping.

This is all very interesting to read because our business is the manufacture and install bespoke blinds and curtains. Although we obviously do this mainly in residential and commercial premises I am going to knock something up for the van using the same pleated bind system which is just tension fitted.

Sounds interesting to me keep in touch !!
Not quite ready for blinds but as said have been looking only proviso is need something in a colour not drab old blacks and greys! Hint hint!!!

I would also be interested as I am after a set of pleated blinds as distinct from the railed curtains. I am looking to buy now but can hold off for a few months if necessary.

I looked at Vanshades but they say on their web site that they have a problem fitting OEM sliders.

Also a T6 tailgate window is a different shape to a T5 - that might not be a problem but I would like to see.

Otherwise any other flush mind system would be very interesting. I have looked at possibilities to fit camper blind systems to the sliders but it is difficult getting around the slider rails.

Last edited:
I've found a couple of online shops that do made to measure and thermal. Bare with me I'm away at moment.
I did a rough size in their order forms I reckon around £50 a side similar for rear.
When I'm home I'll measure up and look for best price.
I was thinking if making one complete panel door card out of 3mm ply which would allow the blinds to sit behind keeping things neat.
But again I'll door some proper measuring later this week and let people know.
Fingers crossed then ha ha

Apart from general finish the problem is keeping whatever flush with the Surrounding metalwork.

The slider is less of a problem but it has to fit as the door opens and closes and leave access to the door handle and lock.

On the opposite side the bottom at least needs to protrude no more than the B & C pillars so to clear the worktop with sink & hob and let the glass lids open properly.

On both sides it needs to let the sliding window open fully while still being able to get at the handle.

Apart from general finish the problem is keeping whatever flush with the Surrounding metalwork.

The slider is less of a problem but it has to fit as the door opens and closes and leave access to the door handle and lock.

On the opposite side the bottom at least needs to protrude no more than the B & C pillars so to clear the worktop with sink & hob and let the glass lids open properly.

On both sides it needs to let the sliding window open fully while still being able to get at the handle.

Ab so blooming lutely

This what Vanshades say;

"Our Window Pods are not compatible with genuine Kombi sliders due the thickness of the track in which they are housed. You can find this on the incompatibility section of our website.

We do not at present have a T6 tailgate version as this needs developing in the winter months when the season quietens down."

Been looking at a few online sites main problem is rear hatch dimensions.
Pair of thermal tensioned blinds work out at roughly £120 for twin sliding doors
But rear hatch window can't find any made to measure
Size in recess 138cm X 58cm nothing but turn it on its side so that you'd have to open/close by sliding left or right rather than up N down!
£60.00
So a couple hundred quid for just the blinds.
I'm also looking at making a panel that will cover the door with opening for window. Seen it done and offered up some 3ply door shuts fine!
Prices are from 247blinds
I'm off to think about it..............wellnspeak to the wife ha ha!

The issue at the minute is finding a suitable place to fix them to (top and also the bottom for the tension) and make it look neat. It would appear the best option like you mention is to fix the blinds to fabricated plastic or ply panel that carpeted alhough not quite the look I am trying to go for.

I have been playing with a fitted aluminium frame but again it's the fixing points.

Back