Whistling at idle (intermittent)

stupot

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All I’ve searched but can’t quite find anyone that’s had exactly this…
2017 204 DSG 4m 78k miles.
Intermittently I’m getting a faint whistling noise at idle, it’s possible it’s doing it at other times but only notice it when stationary. It sounds like wind whistling in a tunnel (best description I can think of!) It’s not the heater fan (or at least when I fiddle with that it has no effect on the noise), pretty sure it’s not belts as had cambelt and aux belt+tensioner done recently. Stops when I pull away.
Obviously it doesn’t do it when I show the tech at the garage…
Any ideas welcome, no other symptoms and it’s quite faint… but it’s annoying me.
Thanks in advance for any ideas. Stu

Try recording it and posting it on here. Obviously when you say ‘stops when I pull away’ could be just a case of being outside audible range or masked by other noise.
As for eliminating recently maintained components, human intervention has a habit of creating more problems if done badly.

Thanks, good point on work being done and the risk of an error. I’ll try recording it.

I've also had this intermittently, same engine. I thought at one point it was when a regen was taking place, not sure why that would cause the noise though - possibly fan going like the clappers ?!

Engines and their systems do make many different noises, just be aware that the sound proofing on a commercial van is nowhere near as good as most cars so you will hear them.

Back