Which brand wheel bearing?

The assembly you buy won’t specify the actual bearing manufacturer which is key to reliability.
I found some info’ online that the OEM part is using SKF bearings which is one of the best bearing manufacturers. SKF, Timken and NTN are all trusted bearing manufacturers.
It’s probably a case of you get what you pay for, never save money on bearings and seals, especially if it’s critical equipment that you are paying somebody else to install.

The assembly you buy won’t specify the actual bearing manufacturer which is key to reliability.
I found some info’ online that the OEM part is using SKF bearings which is one of the best bearing manufacturers. SKF, Timken and NTN are all trusted bearing manufacturers.
It’s probably a case of you get what you pay for, never save money on bearings and seals, especially if it’s critical equipment that you are paying somebody else to install.
Although I appreciate your words of wisdom, it doesn't actually answer why the front and rears are different?!

It was the rears that had gone, couldn't pin point to one side so replaced both.

What mileage did you need to replace bearings at?
Changed mine at 47k! Full camper conversion 20 inch wheels and lowered so I guess they take some abuse! It’s not a daily driver either, I read somewhere that the worst thing for a bearing is to be static and loaded so I guess that might have had something to do with it. Currently on 67k with the work T6, original bearings.

Changed mine at 47k! Full camper conversion 20 inch wheels and lowered so I guess they take some abuse! It’s not a daily driver either, I read somewhere that the worst thing for a bearing is to be static and loaded so I guess that might have had something to do with it. Currently on 67k with the work T6, original bearings.
Ours is a daily. The rears after removal you couldn't tell they were shot, felt OK, no apparent noise but then can't get them up to fault state rpm by hand! I was only getting the noise from 30-50 range, 50mph being normally worst.

Ours is a daily. The rears after removal you couldn't tell they were shot, felt OK, no apparent noise but then can't get them up to fault state rpm by hand! I was only getting the noise from 30-50 range, 50mph being normally worst.
Mine was noisy above 30 but wasn’t as bad as I expected once removed. I put up with it for months and it was fairly easy to change so wouldn’t let it go that long again!

read somewhere that the worst thing for a bearing is to be static and loaded so I guess that might have had something to do with it
Not using a item with a loaded bearing will create Brinelling. I’ve seen plenty of cases of this in the marine industry. Try explaining to an accountant that a brand new piece of equipment needs an expensive overhaul because it’s been sat idle for 5 years.
Even if you only go out in the van once a year for a camping holiday, move it on the driveway once a month so that the bearing positions are changed.

Back