Where does everyone store their bedding when travelling?

TeresaE

T6 Pro
Hi
We have just purchased our T6 van and getting ready to go away this weekend. Where do you all pack the bedding? We were thing of storing them behind the rock and roll bed.
Also whilst travelling, where do peeps dogs travel in transit?

Many thanks
T

Our layout is a little different to most people's. We have a permanent bed/seating area set up Taking up the rear 1.2n of the van. So out bedding stays on filled with cushions etc. Mabel (the dog) has the remaining 1m to herself. Often she will jump up on the bed area and ride there. I do worry about an emergency stop as 30kg of greyhound flying round is unlikely to be good for me or her.

Any tips or advice on the dog front would be appreciated by me as well. I was thinking of building a cage beneath a worktop area in the front.

Edit: Friend of mine has a more standard layout and keeps the bedding beneath the rock and roll bed at the rear. Seems there's quite a bit of storage there.

Our layout is a little different to most people's. We have a permanent bed/seating area set up Taking up the rear 1.2n of the van. So out bedding stays on filled with cushions etc. Mabel (the dog) has the remaining 1m to herself. Often she will jump up on the bed area and ride there. I do worry about an emergency stop as 30kg of greyhound flying round is unlikely to be good for me or her.

Any tips or advice on the dog front would be appreciated by me as well. I was thinking of building a cage beneath a worktop area in the front.

Edit: Friend of mine has a more standard layout and keeps the bedding beneath the rock and roll bed at the rear. Seems there's quite a bit of storage there.
Bedding behind rock n' roll, Mr Smith (Bassett hound) has to sit on the front bench seat thus cannot put single passenger seat in. Smith likes to spot the burger vans enroute :)

Our bedding (Duvalays) lay side by side on the top shelf behind the RIB bed both for transport and during the day whilst away - plenty of room for coats, cycle helmets, etc. on top of them. Our dogs (cocker spaniels so relatively small) have a basket that we put on the floor behind the passenger seat for transport and on site we move it into the front passenger footwell - they seem to like it in there.

My Weimaraner equally weighs 30kg, but he has a car harness that passes around his neck and chest, loops round his front legs and buckles along his back. From this I have a couple of pieces, one that can fit into a seatbelt clasp, or one that has a karibener style end that snaps onto anything else in the van. Stops him flying around.

My Weimaraner equally weighs 30kg, but he has a car harness that passes around his neck and chest, loops round his front legs and buckles along his back. From this I have a couple of pieces, one that can fit into a seatbelt clasp, or one that has a karibener style end that snaps onto anything else in the van. Stops him flying around.
Hmm, car harness sounds good. Although I don't have accessible seatbelt fixing points in the back anymore. Might have to reinstate something.
Would you recommend any brand in particular for the car harness?

It also stops him from scrabbling out from his sleeping place under the kombi bed via the rear side door footwell, under the folded down kombi seats, through the walk between the front seats, and making himself comfy on the drivers seat. Big git woke me up twice doing this last time out until I put him in the harness and tethered him to the bed leg.

Hmm, car harness sounds good. Although I don't have accessible seatbelt fixing points in the back anymore. Might have to reinstate something.
I'll have a look and see if I can find a make of the one we have.

Just a suggestion, what about a climbing grade of carabiner to latch into a load lashing point if you have them? As for harness try the Julius K9.

Just a suggestion, what about a climbing grade of carabiner to latch into a load lashing point if you have them?
Yes that could work. I did remove the load lashing points when having the flooring and carpeting done but wouldn't be too hard to put one back in for this.

Hi
We have just purchased our T6 van and getting ready to go away this weekend. Where do you all pack the bedding? We were thing of storing them behind the rock and roll bed.
Also whilst travelling, where do peeps dogs travel in transit?

Many thanks
T
How big is your dog TeresaE?

Yes that could work. I did remove the load lashing points when having the flooring and carpeting done but wouldn't be too hard to put one back in for this.
@ausyray, sorry but after my original post I added a recommendation for the Julius K9 harness available online but I would go to a pet store so that you can test fit to your dog and get the right size.

@ausyray, sorry but after my original post I added a recommendation for the Julius K9 harness available online but I would go to a pet store so that you can test fit to your dog and get the right size.
That's ok. I spotted it. Just googled it, I was hoping her current ruffwear webmaster might do the trick. They look fairly similar (although the webmaster isn't crash tested) and it seems like it provides enough support. If I can get the load lashing point sorted again I think I have a winning solution. Thanks :)

That's ok. I spotted it. Just googled it, I was hoping her current ruffwear webmaster might do the trick. They look fairly similar (although the webmaster isn't crash tested) and it seems like it provides enough support. If I can get the load lashing point sorted again I think I have a winning solution. Thanks :)
Sounds good and if you need more padding on the harness straps then get, or make, some seat belt shoulder cushions. :)

Most of our bedding goes in the wardrobe cupboard, the Zonesleep topper just goes on the back shelf.
The dog sits on the middle on her bed; on Euro trips she stays with friends.

How big is your dog TeresaE?
Hi
We have 9 year old Labrador, she used to go in a cage in the boot of the car. Unfortunately, the cage is a bit big to go in the van. The harness idea sounds like a good idea.
Thanks for all the replies, I think we will go with storing the bedding behind the bed.

Have just looked at our harness and it has no tag or manufacturer markings on it though. It is pretty hefty though as we've had others that he hasn't got on with.

Pillows in the drawer under the bed and sleeping backs rolled up in their carry bags and used to pack and pad against things like picnic table and BBQ in the back behind the bed. They act as very useful cushions against the furniture so things dont move around.

Dog has a harness as mentioned above that clicks into a third seat beat buckle we had specially fitted into the Cali bed by our conversion guy spefically for the dog!!! TBH though he usually just ends up in his bed basket on the floor.

With the Cali we just stack everything. on the rear shelf behind the seat but with previous overland vehicles I designed and had made what we call a Wrapsac.
It consists of a waterproof zip up cover with a marine mesh(prevents condensation and adds a layer of insulation) in first then a 3" memory foam topper, then a double sleeping bag. It all rolls up and just chucked in the back.
It can also be used outside under a tarp if you like sleeping under the stars..
IMG_0268.jpg IMG_0269.jpg IMG_0275.jpg IMG_0271.jpg IMG_0278.jpg

On the old Cali under the back shelf the dogs sat on top the other one in a bed on the seat. Tent on the floor. Now we have two dogs who go on the seat behind us clipped to the seat belt, the seat is brought right forward giving us loads of room to store behind. It all depends on how much rubbish you want to bring and what you need. A lot of people seem to take everything including the kitchen sink but you need to sit back and look at what you really need to bring. There is only me and the wife plus two dogs and they are not big but we have enough room. Never had a problem with storage even when we went camping with the lads you just work out what you need and the best way to store it might take a few goes at getting it right but you will get there I the end.

Back