Westfalia Towbar With Factory Support Bar

T6 Guru
I noticed that Westfalia towbars fitted at the factory have additional supports at each end of the main body of the towbar similar to the bumper support bar that is removed.
However, aftermarket Westfalia bars do not have these additional wings attached.
To my mind, this leaves the outer edges of the bumper unsupported when fitting a Westfalia bar, and there is the increased potential for the bumper/body to be damaged if the bumper is, " nudged ".

Today I set about fitting an aftermarket Westfalia detachable bar to my T6 kombi.

After fitting the bar I was going to cut the wings off the original support bar and weld them to the new bar, however, whilst taking some measurements, I could see that there could be a possibility of cutting the complete support bar to fit over the Westfalia bar.

So after a couple of hours of cutting, grinding and offering up, I had successfully managed to fit the support bar over the new bar.

I'm well chuffed, as not only does it now have the same amount of metal bumper support as VW intended, but I didn't need to buy £40.00 of foam support pieces that are needed when fitting the bar.

The last picture shows what was cut out.20180428_161345.jpg 20180428_171829.jpg 20180428_171851.jpg 20180428_181251.jpg 20180428_182208.jpg 20180428_182230.jpg 20180428_190222.jpg

Nice job, not for the feint hearted.

My Westfalia detachable was fitted locally, he knew all about the support brackets and ordered them as part of the installation, I assume that's the foam bits that you mentioned?

This end bits you cut off the cross beam in your first and last picture is not primarily a support system for the plastic bumper but the first stage of the crash structure for a rear impact. The bumper beam does provide support to the bumper but needs the foam pieces to take up any movement and tolerances and to allow the bumper to flex as it all works as a system in so much that should there be a low speed impact (car park speeds) then it is a requirement that the bumper (and any lights) do not get broken (paint scrapes excepted) hence the foam inserts allow the bumper to deflect without breaking.

This end bits you cut off the cross beam in your first and last picture is not primarily a support system for the plastic bumper but the first stage of the crash structure for a rear impact. The bumper beam does provide support to the bumper but needs the foam pieces to take up any movement and tolerances and to allow the bumper to flex as it all works as a system in so much that should there be a low speed impact (car park speeds) then it is a requirement that the bumper (and any lights) do not get broken (paint scrapes excepted) hence the foam inserts allow the bumper to deflect without breaking.

Exactly why I wanted to retain the support bar as the aftermarket Westfalia tow bar does not extend to provide the same level of impact protection as the original support bar.
As you suggest, without this full width bar behind the bumper skin, a soft car park type bump on the corner could well lead to greater damage as there is no metal stucture to help absorb the inpact.

Cracking mod. Will this retain the rigidity so I can stand on the bumper? Will the foam pieces allow me to stand on the bumper?

Cheers

Cracking mod. Will this retain the rigidity so I can stand on the bumper? Will the foam pieces allow me to stand on the bumper?

Cheers

Yes. Using the original crash/support bar means the top of the bumper only flexes down, when you stand on it, about 10mm.

However, the way I did it takes a lot of effort and many prefer to just spend the £40 on the foam supports.

I had already formed 2 foam supports from styrofoam insulation but, as a I stated above, I wanted to retain the original bumper/crash support.

Yes. Using the original crash/support bar means the top of the bumper only flexes down, when you stand on it, about 10mm.

However, the way I did it takes a lot of effort and many prefer to just spend the £40 on the foam supports.

I had already formed 2 foam supports from styrofoam insulation but, as a I stated above, I wanted to retain the original bumper/crash support.
Cheers. Is it the long foam piece or the two smaller ones I will need. It’s a t6 kombi

I have problems with my bumper splitting at the ends of the towbar. From what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any support bar behind the bumper skin. It's in at VW as we speak, and I've asked them to have a look at it, but after seeing .50's 5th pic down, I'm starting to think they have removed the support bar completely. Doesn't look right to me.
rear bumper.JPG rear bumper1.JPG

Don't think the foam extends to the sides, but I think the VW sourced support bar does. I've just bought one and handed ut over to the company doing my conversion. This isn't foam. It's a plastic moulding that's attached with the eight fasteners onto the rear panel.

Screenshot_20180621-085553_Gallery.jpg

Panel vans require the above parts anything with glass behind drivers seat ie kombi/caravelle require the two foam pads to support the bumper using the existing strip/strut

Sorry Pauly, excuse my ignorance. I'm not exactly sure of the set up behind the bumper cover. This is my van. Are you saying I should have the foam supports or not? My bumper cover seems to be sitting directly on the cross bar of the towbar, hence the reason for the 2 splits.
IMG_8481.JPG

If that’s a factory Kombi then you should just need the two self adhesive foam supports to brace the bumper and stop it bowing down onto the internal strut

Did this mod myself a few days ago when refitting the westfalia bar I removed from the fire van. I couldn't believe you'd remove such good impact protection and replace with some bits of foam!

DSC_0181.JPG

DSC_0182.JPG

I did this mod after fitting a towbar. I made the cuts using a hacksaw. The metal is not to thick and was fairly easy to saw. Thanks for the information.

Reactions: .50
My Westfalia detachable was fitted locally, he knew all about the support brackets and ordered them as part of the installation, I assume that's the foam bits that you mentioned?
Insert Coin - With this thread being revived, I've just seen the above post. Could you advise who fitted it please. I'm not exactly local to Dorset but, Covid rules permitting, can overnight with a mate in Weymouth and have the job done on his driveway if necessary. I ask as when I spoke with a local towbar 'expert' and mentioned the foam inserts etc. he didn't seem to know what I was talking about which didn't exactly inspire confidence!

Hi, I used Dolphin Towbars in Poole, really good job, I'm still not convinced whether I have the foam inserts or not but it's never caused me an issue and I do tow a heavy caravan,

Cheers for that. I might well have a chat with them once we can travel and overnight.

Back