VW mats- smell/taste!!!??

Tickz

CCTV Tech’
As above! i just want to check im not going mad! I had a new t6.1 in july came with the ruberised VW mats included (they are the standard OEM ones you see in all the vans) they have a rubber odour and you can litrally taste them in the air of the van, it gets to the back of your throat!

I have washed them in a bath of hot water, I've also applied some rubber cleaner etc but they still do it! its not just me, the wife and my work mates all say the same. I dont use the van as my main vehicle so it can sit for a week unused. I've not had the problem with my older t6 that have different but again standard car mats.

The van does have the standard rubberised floor in the rear (not the front) but im pretty sure its not that.

I am going to change them out for something else but I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? for my sanity really!

Can’t comment on the mats but I know what you mean! I always get it in tyre places, the taste gets right in the back of your throat :thumbsdown: haven’t got your spare in the back for some reason have you?? :confused:

My Sportline has the rubber floor but with carpet mats but I have no rubbery smell in mine! Mines brand new and even in the rear I have the complete spongy rubber floor and that has no smell too.

The smell will fade over time..... Just leave them hanging up in the shed for a few weeks/months.

And use different one's in the meantime.

I would just leave them outside for a few days. The weather looks crap for a few days with rain, so they should get a good soaking.

Pete

As above! i just want to check im not going mad! I had a new t6.1 in july came with the ruberised VW mats included (they are the standard OEM ones you see in all the vans) they have a rubber odour and you can litrally taste them in the air of the van, it gets to the back of your throat!

I have washed them in a bath of hot water, I've also applied some rubber cleaner etc but they still do it! its not just me, the wife and my work mates all say the same. I dont use the van as my main vehicle so it can sit for a week unused. I've not had the problem with my older t6 that have different but again standard car mats.

The van does have the standard rubberised floor in the rear (not the front) but im pretty sure its not that.

I am going to change them out for something else but I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? for my sanity really!
I had the same issue with some I bought off eBay, the smell made me feel sick. I replaced them with vw ones and there’s hardly any smell at all. This makes me wonder whether your mats are possibly not genuine. I wouldn’t be too shocked since vw ones aren’t that cheap

I bought a 3mm rubber cab mat from rugs for bugs. It too had a strong smell for a while but soon went. I ended up leaving it hanging up outside for 2 weeks which sorted it fine. Just new and should fade

My van came with the heavy duty VW rubber cab mat on top of the standard carpet. It absolutely stank, I tried cleaning it, jet washing it, leaving outside for a couple of weeks to let the smell fade. It never got any better so it’s in the garage now. Just get rid of it and put something else in there, I agree with you that the smell is horrible.

Back