Van/leisure Batteries Explained?

MEX72

Hey guys,

Apologies in advance it's probably been asked numerous times..

Leisure batteries: What's the best practice for keeping them healthy? I've noticed on the control panel my van battery is orange, and my leisure battery no matter how long its charged never gets to a full green charge? Should I be worried?

1. Should I hook up to house electric regularly to keep battery at a healthy level?

2. Is there any danger of overcharging if I do this?

3. What impact would this have on van battery?

On 2 occasions now when I've gone to start van it's warned me of a low battery? I took it in for a Gaslow conversion this week and it started no problems on a cold morning, yet when I dropped it at garage, the chap who did the conversion said he had to jump start it to get t into his workshop?

Me and my wife are off up to Scotland for 5 days this coming Monday and I'm a bit concerned the battery will die on us when we're in the back of beyond!

I've only had the van a few months, it's a 2017 T6 LWB, fully converted. Thanks for reading guys. We don't use the van everyday but do use it at least once a week.

There is an issue with some engine batteries at the moment, check to see if you have a Moll EFB battery fitted and if so contact your dealer to get it checked
Regards the leisure battery it really depends on what setup/equipment etc you have to exactly how it will operate

There is an issue with some engine batteries at the moment, check to see if you have a Moll EFB battery fitted and if so contact your dealer to get it checked
Regards the leisure battery it really depends on what setup/equipment etc you have to exactly how it will operate

Hi @Pauly thanks for the speedy response. I've just gone out and checked and that's exactly what my battery is - Moll EFB. When the Gaslow installer told me about it not starting he suspected that it's been an issue before I picked it up because the battery cover is missing, hmmm.

Hi there, as a newbie can anyone clarify as to the setting on the PMS3 V/H power supply control panel. there seems to be conflicting advice. The current setting is van and has been the case since I purchased vehicle privately some 4m ago. But I have read this should be set to off when driving normally? up to now this has not been a problem.
Thanks .

The PMS is not suitable for the T6 unless a separate charging system has also been fitted. The PMS was not a good choice before intelligent alternators, it is even less of a good choice now and I would seriously question the electrical competence of any one that fitted one.

The PMS is not suitable for the T6 unless a separate charging system has also been fitted. The PMS was not a good choice before intelligent alternators, it is even less of a good choice now and I would seriously question the electrical competence of any one that fitted one.

Im quite concerned as i have one fitted, 3 of my friends also have one, we have all got our vans from different conversion places.
There is obviously a lot of people doing comversions and fitting the wrong equipment.
You have suggested in other posts to use a Dc-dc charger forthe leisure battery, what system would you advise to control all the 12v stuff and also for the electric hook up?

You could continue to use the PMS as a fuse box/control panel although strictly speaking the mains side of it does NOT comply with current regulations. If you want to be fully compliant I suggest fully replacing the PMS with proper equipment. Bear in mind that the PMS was designed a couple of decades ago for things like caravans and doesn't really cut it these days.

Back