USB-Cs totally dead.

Roblee

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi folk,
I need help,

Our USB-Cs are totally dead, so cant charge our mobiles or Conect to the infotainment centre.
I've checked the fuses and are all ok including the one under the passenger seat.
Our van (T6.1 2021 model) is still under warranty and is booked in at our VW main dealer's in Preston, they have a 2 month waiting list..unbelievable.
Anyway..the question is..if I buy a bluetooth wireless USB adapter and use the cigarette lighter to power the addapter, will it work and talk to my Android infotainment centre.
Reading all the information has just baffled me.
Thanks Rob

Last edited:
Your phone should be able to connect directly via BT to the headunit without any need for a dongle to play music from the phone or take phone calls.

Your phone should be able to connect directly via BT to the headunit without any need for a dongle to play music from the phone or take phone calls.
Yes you can Conect by bluetooth to the head unit for phone calls (with out the cable) but Android auto doesn't work, it has the google maps we like for directions.

No it won’t work, CarPlay and android auto require a hardwired connection and it needs to be one of the factory usb connections

No it won’t work, CarPlay and android auto require a hardwired connection and it needs to be one of the factory usb connections
that I assume is for only certain head units as my car play is totally wireless?

Thanks for that information, I had ordered the Bluetooth addapter but hopefully I've managed to cancel the order.

that I assume is for only certain head units as my car play is totally wireless?
Android Auto is wireless capable on my head unit (middle range one MY21 T6.1) and should be able to set up new phones via BT I don't recall it needing a cable at that point.

If the module is dead then the data lines won't be connected either as AFAIK it's a USB hub so physically connecting an adapter to the failed sockets and powering from elsewhere won't work - and I'd advise against trying to back power USB anyway.

If it's not a fuse it might be a wiring issue or loose connection if you wanted to investigate.

Hi folk,
I need help,

Our USB-Cs are totally dead, so cant charge our mobiles or Conect to the infotainment centre.
I've checked the fuses and are all ok including the one under the passenger seat.
Our van (T6.1 2021 model) is still under warranty and is booked in at our VW main dealer's in Preston, they have a 2 month waiting list..unbelievable.
Anyway..the question is..if I buy a bluetooth wireless USB adapter and use the cigarette lighter to power the addapter, will it work and talk to my Android infotainment centre.
Reading all the information has just baffled me.
Thanks Rob
Well we waited 2 months for an appointment at our main VW commercial dealer's in Preston..Like I said above, our USB-Cs were dead. Well we went today 25.04.2024 and left our van, it was bedlam and there was no where to park, vans every where, very busy. Waited ages to find a space. Anyway it was about 9.45am and our Daughter drove us home in her car.

Got a call around 1pm saying our van was ready, ( very surprised ) they had fitted a new USB-C module and updated the infotainment centre. They also did a visual check of the van and gave us a report....

Heres some advice...We phoned the VW van centre parts department a few days before our visit and explained to the parts guy what we thought was wrong with our van, he was very understanding and said it sounds like the USB-C module and he would order one in for our visit.. We didn't want to take our van and have to go back because they didn't have the part in stock.

All back to normal and working perfect. :)

Our all experience at Preston main VW van centre was excellent and cant recommend them enough.

Forgot to mention we had purchased a VW--USB-C premium cable before our visit, for a tidy sum of £40..:(

Last edited:
Back