Unable to fit Vanstyle Thorsby side steps to a t6.1 as not enough holes underneath, anyone got round this? Now solved

Pedro20001

Auto assembly technician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all, I've got some black vanstyle thorsby side steps for my t6.1 swb but looking underneath there aren't enough holes . Looks like t5 and t5.1 have extra grommets to remove and fit the t bolts in but guess vw deleted these. Anyone with a t6.1 got these fitted? Not really feeling drilling my sills :mad:
Update, managed ro fit with a bit of youtube help and exploring :)

Last edited:
Hi pedro, could you post some pics of the final result and link to the video you used please as I’m considering purchasing these for my T6

Hi all, I've got some black vanstyle thorsby side steps for my t6.1 swb but looking underneath there aren't enough holes . Looks like t5 and t5.1 have extra grommets to remove and fit the t bolts in but guess vw deleted these. Anyone with a t6.1 got these fitted? Not really feeling drilling my sills :mad:
Update, managed ro fit with a bit of youtube help and exploring :)
Hi could do with a few pictures pls I have a t6.1 and changed the side step no issues

Any more info on this guys ? Pedro ? youTube link maybe ?

I've come across the same problem - the 'inner' hole for the front mounting bracket isn't there although the supplier says the fitting kit is universal for T5 on ?? The instructions supplied appear to be a bit "Chinesey". Fitting them with a bolt shy doesn't fill me with confidence

I'm not keen on drilling a 9 month old sill either :(

I recently fitted steps to replace side bars to my T6. I had to remove the under tray and then pop out some grommets which are covered. I was only aware as the tray had been cut to fit the side bars. The instructions I got were worse than an Ikea's.

@JDC - yes these are similar , there are indeed grommets that line up with bracket holes - 2 at rear , 2 at middle (which is closer to the rear than I'd like ), then only 1 at the front, I'm not keen on using just 1 to secure that bracket , given that the span from the 'middle' to the front is where you'd likely step on to get in the driving seat and its longer , due the the off-centre middle.
I'd rather return the bars as not fit for purpose than drill or chance it .

Sounds similar to what mine was. If you drop the plastic under tray you can see the gromets where your bars would fit, just off centre, hidden behind the tray. You would need to cut the under tray once the brackets are fitted.

Yes, I've been that far and even tried the T bolts + brackets up & don't mind running a slitter through the tray to accommodate the brackets, but drilling the sills for the missing holes is probably a step too far for my liking. I'll search youTube once i get time to see if I can find what Pedro found , if not , it's a fail and I may look for OE if such a thing exists

You shouldn't have to drill the sills!!! The bars I took off and new steps fitted just went into exsisting holes protected by grommets. These are the pics I was sent when I queried the instructions. Got others if needed. They show the under tray removed and the exsisting holes which are covered with black gromets. Hope these help.

Middle drivers
Screenshot_20230712-110438_Gallery.jpgmiddle passengerScreenshot_20230712-110503_Gallery.jpg

I have a 6.1 and the inner hole for the front brackets isn't there.
The brackets I have appear to be the same as yours too, the middle + rear would fit fine .

You shouldn't have to drill the sills!!! The bars I took off and new steps fitted just went into exsisting holes protected by grommets. These are the pics I was sent when I queried the instructions. Got others if needed. They show the under tray removed and the exsisting holes which are covered with black gromets. Hope these help.

Middle drivers
View attachment 205400middle passengerView attachment 205399
Hi there JDC,
I've just bought these, did you remove the under tray or lower both sides?
Appreciate any advice.

Hi there JDC,
I've just bought these, did you remove the under tray or lower both sides?
Appreciate any advice.
Need to remove the under sill guards and cut them to allow the brackets to sit into the sill. I used a multi tool to cut them out. If you just remove the fixings closer to the sill then you can lower it, just make sure it doesn't pop the inner section by the exhaust.

Back