UK Journey - 3657km

paulfwb

Expat - Switzerland
We have just returned home from a wonderful tour of the UK which was:
Zurich - Largs - Dunbar - Buxton - Birmingham - Derby - Dover - Zürich
Our best experiences were in Lothian (Dunbar) and High Peak (Buxton).
We are unaccustomed to such open friendliness.

Having left the UK over 20 years ago I was surprised, that although cafes and pubs in rural areas generally are still dog friendly in cities there is a positively hysterical of dog phobia.
I have given the places on bold that we found to be friendly, dog friendly and provide excellent facilities for camping.
(My dog is quiet and trained to lie under the table)

I'm happy the share the pitches we had and a comment on quality.

Glad you enjoyed our northern hospitality. Please tell me that you visited Buxton Brewery. If you missed it, you need to come back

We have just returned home from a wonderful tour of the UK which was:
Zurich - Largs - Dunbar - Buxton - Birmingham - Derby - Dover - Zürich
Our best experiences were in Lothian (Dunbar) and High Peak (Buxton).
We are unaccustomed to such open friendliness.

Having left the UK over 20 years ago I was surprised, that although cafes and pubs in rural areas generally are still dog friendly in cities there is a positively hysterical of dog phobia.
I have given the places on bold that we found to be friendly, dog friendly and provide excellent facilities for camping.
(My dog is quiet and trained to lie under the table)

I'm happy the share the pitches we had and a comment on quality.
Sounds like a great trip.
Some establishments are put under enormous pressure by customers not to allow dogs for a variety of reasons such as health ie fear of zoonotic transmission and also people can be genuinely extremely frightened of them. There can also be cultural and religious considerations for the venue. So simply refusing entry is a simple solution.
I certainly wouldn't hold anything against an establishment that takes that route.

Sounds like a great trip.
Some establishments are put under enormous pressure by customers not to allow dogs for a variety of reasons such as health ie fear of zoonotic transmission and also people can be genuinely extremely frightened of them. There can also be cultural and religious considerations for the venue. So simply refusing entry is a simple solution.
I certainly wouldn't hold anything against an establishment that takes that route.
Hi Sackmycook,
I understand this but most pubs are big enough to designate dog areas or specially "clean" areas for vulnerable people, with strong allergies and phobias.
I have a friend who cannot cope with noise so when a noisy childrens' party suddenly appears she must leave.

Glad you enjoyed our northern hospitality. Please tell me that you visited Buxton Brewery. If you missed it, you need to come back
Hi Sally, The choice was fantastic so we didn't get chance to visit the Buxton Brewery but the Cheshire Cheese.
Say hello to Sam for us if you go there.

Zurich to Largs is a bit of an epic run ..... which way did you go?
We did "Zurich - Largs - Dunbar - Buxton - Birmingham - Derby - Dover - Zürich". We took the ferry from Dan Haag to Harwich (Stena Line). The staff were very helpful and friendly. (Stena doesn't have a policy of sacking all their staff)
However, we did have one hitch. Alice, our dog, is fully vaccinated but I worm her myself. This means that her passport didn't have a vet's worming stamp and Stena couldn't allow us to sail. Stena re-booked us for free for the next day, so we were able to sail.

Lesson learned: Go to your vet and confirm that dogs' passes have all the current stamps.

A big more detail about the journey:
"Zurich - Largs - Belhaven Bay - Dunbar - Musselburgh - Buxton - Birmingham - Derby - Dover - Corny-sur-Moselle - Zürich"

Reactions: CAB
Back