Tyre advice for me from you experts.

Mick

VIP Member
T6 Guru
For those that know me :oops: sold the Kia e Niro and bought a Tesla Model 3 AWD LR. I am looking at winter wheels for it and the seller is being very honest. I am probably going to do 3-4000 miles in the winter to the alps, Austria and Spain.So this is what he has said to me below and I’d value an opinion from our communities knowledgeable guys in this area. I am clueless in this area.

These are the wheels: 18" MSW 27T Gloss Black Alloy Wheels
These are the tyres: Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3. Only £ 196.69

'Some extra pics, also for info these are not wheels from Tesla they are MSW’s alternative for Tesla and the tyres are not extra load I went for a 215 92v rather than the 225 as a narrower tyre is slightly better in the snow. 92 rather than 98 so rated to 630kg per tyre v 98 rated 750kg per tyre. Tesla has an unladen kerb weight of 1844kg. Maybe worth a bit of research to make sure you are okay with that.'

Last edited:
I used to use dedicated winter tyres for driving to the alps which were superb, these days however I would probably look at Michelin Crossclimates. They’re classed as an all rounder but perform very well on snow, most makes have there own version but worth looking at. Maybe try a google/youtube search for Tesla and Crossclimate, am sure someone will have reviewed them.

I used to use dedicated winter tyres for driving to the alps which were superb, these days however I would probably look at Michelin Crossclimates. They’re classed as an all rounder but perform very well on snow, most makes have there own version but worth looking at. Maybe try a google/youtube search for Tesla and Crossclimate, am sure someone will have reviewed them.
You cannot use Cross Climate in Austria or Switzerland and parts of Germany. the french were also quite dodgy about it. I was pulled with my Michelin X Climate in Austria by the police in Mayrhofen he’d to be full winter rating: They also had a go about my dashcam also illegal there.

You cannot use Cross Climate in Austria or Switzerland and parts of Germany. the french were also quite dodgy about it. I was pulled with my Michelin X Climate in Austria by the police in Mayrhofen he’d to be full winter rating: They also had a go about my dashcam also illegal there.
Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that regarding tyres, thanks for letting me know

I would be interested to see the legislation for the EU countries that have suggested full winter rating. Many all season tyres are EU 3P M&S certified, so what certification is it that a full winter has that betters that?

I would be interested to see the legislation for the EU countries that have suggested full winter rating. Many all season tyres are EU 3P M&S certified, so what certification is it that a full winter has that betters that?
No idea. My Michelin x Climates has an M+S rating but they weren’t having it.

that’s what I don’t understand. I thought that the cross climate, like the cross climate 2 was 3PMSF certified, which is what @DXX link suggests is required, although it’s a manufacturers summary rather than the actual eu legislation, but from what I know and have read 3PMSF is enough?

Tricky when in a foreign country to question their understanding of the legislation, although come to think of it, it can be pretty tricky in this country too!

Edit. Just re-read that link from @DXX and it does say that each country may have its own interpretation of what’s required, so I guess full winter is safest to cover all eventualities.

The more of that I read the more useful that link becomes. The link to specific requirements by country is helpful.

Perhaps I should stop offering advice when I’ve had a drink, or several!

Reactions: DXX
that’s what I don’t understand. I thought that the cross climate, like the cross climate 2 was 3PMSF certified, which is what @DXX link suggests is required, although it’s a manufacturers summary rather than the actual eu legislation, but from what I know and have read 3PMSF is enough?

Tricky when in a foreign country to question their understanding of the legislation, although come to think of it, it can be pretty tricky in this country too!
There is no overall compulsory EU legislation in this area just guidance. Rules are different in Austria to France For example the Austrians still don’t accept snow socks last time I looked. The French and eventually the Germans accepted it. In Spain there are no compulsory rules but the police will sit at the bottom of a mountain and will just stop you & send you back if no snow sock or chains. Winter tyres are ‘nice to have’ seen it many a time in Vielha.

Last edited:
For those that know me :oops: sold the Kia e Niro and bought a Tesla Model 3 AWD LR. I am looking at winter wheels for it and the seller is being very honest. I am probably going to do 3-4000 miles in the winter to the alps, Austria and Spain.So this is what he has said to me below and I’d value an opinion from our communities knowledgeable guys in this area. I am clueless in this area.

These are the wheels: 18" MSW 27T Gloss Black Alloy Wheels
These are the tyres: Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3. Only £ 196.69

'Some extra pics, also for info these are not wheels from Tesla they are MSW’s alternative for Tesla and the tyres are not extra load I went for a 215 92v rather than the 225 as a narrower tyre is slightly better in the snow. 92 rather than 98 so rated to 630kg per tyre v 98 rated 750kg per tyre. Tesla has an unladen kerb weight of 1844kg. Maybe worth a bit of research to make sure you are okay with that.'
I never really got an answer to this from the forum it turned into another winter tyre discussion :p Hey Ho. I remembered an old Army mate who set up a successful tyre business down south and I called him, he checked the spec and told me bargain do it!

Back