two way circuit...dimmer switch in the circuit?

T6DSGChris

VIP Member
T6 Guru
hiya

I have x6 cool white leds in the back ceiling area...quite bright!!..did have the dimatec but the missis wasnt keen...
i have them all on a two way switched circuit working direct from the leisure battery
one switch near left slide door on pillar trim as norm
other on left side when opening tailgate.

i got this foc...
seen bits about the cbe dimmer...not keen if im honest...
question...
can i put a dimmer in the circuit or use this one...but to remember the brightness?
i still want to use my switches and dont mind an add on... but would like it to turn on and off wherever i left the dimmer control at.

thanks chris

dimmer.jpg

This is what I’ve used, it switched on the -ve side so the lights in the rear are switched by the courtesy circuit too. You use a simple push button to operate / dim the lights. You can have as many push buttons as you want. There are 2 modes of operation. Remember the last brightness or come in full.

Ok i’ll look at that thanks.. but also..... i’ve been playing..I .put that dimmer switch in between my loom connection to one light, quickly just gently put in to test....as per picture... see what you think.
I need this on my pillar trim with the (one of) my main switch to control the lot..it does remember so you can turn the switches on and off either end of van and it remembers where i left the brightness of that one lamp i tested.....with it where it was it also turned off the blue glow...which i liked...not keen on the permanent drain tbh.
If we sort this it could help a good few people out!?
Many thanks... my brain wont work tonight!

30C0F1DF-5606-4549-8F58-BDAF356E60B6.jpeg

ECBE19D4-B7D1-4B39-BDD4-465E95C66E8A.jpeg

Last edited:
would this work? put in circuit here...? mine has a loom and theres live and earth come off for each light but its still the same in theory.

mod.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it works and its cool as.. will mount next to the front two way switch
A great alternative to the big dme type stuff some of you were fitting etc.
hope it helps others

image.jpg

image.jpg

would this work? put in circuit here...? mine has a loom and theres live and earth come off for each light but its still the same in theory.

View attachment 86052
In that circuit you have drawn, the lowest connection in the 2 SPDT switches are just connected together but to nothing else. I dont understand what that wire will do?
could I use one of these dimmer switch if I only have a single switch?

I didnt draw the circuit mate, its a terrible diagram tbh...i just added the blue circle...
also the same on the upper side of switches...you supply power to the middle of the "rocker" switch... and out centre of other...
the two joined to each other enables the circuit to work two way....think...your stairs lights at home...

and yes you can and lose your normal switch as this turns on and off too... i cant use that way as i already have a two way switched circuit in... so added it in to the circuit.

I didnt draw the circuit mate, its a terrible diagram tbh...i just added the blue circle...
also the same on the upper side of switches...you supply power to the middle of the "rocker" switch... and out centre of other...
the two joined to each other enables the circuit to work two way....think...your stairs lights at home...

and yes you can and lose your normal switch as this turns on and off too... i cant use that way as i already have a two way switched circuit in... so added it in to the circuit.
Oh yes I didnt spot the other connections on the switches. I was too puzzled by the mistake I spotted. I would really like to get min to operate with the courtesy lights and switched. But cant stop them glowing slightly all the time.

ah i'm not sure on the glow... search forum though i have seen stuff about it...
mine all works off the leisure up top on the ceiling downlighters...on the switches...

then...im on about having some small tube/bar lamps above side and rear door working off the normal van battery circuit..
and with a switch on the dash for the side door one so i can look at mini-me now and then.

ah i'm not sure on the glow... search forum though i have seen stuff about it...
mine all works off the leisure up top on the ceiling downlighters...on the switches...

then...im on about having some small tube/bar lamps above side and rear door working off the normal van battery circuit..
and with a switch on the dash for the side door one so i can look at mini-me now and then.
Yes, I've looked on the forum. Maybe the easiest was is to fit a couple of lights just for the courtesy.

View attachment 86052
Can I just check...the LED spots are wired in parallel with the two-way switches as "normal" and then a dimmer is added where the blue circle is?
Or, can I replace one of the on/on switches with a CBE dimmer switch?

Back