Transporter extended warranty - Worth it?

Nande2000

IT Fixer
T6 Pro
My 6.1 DSG is coming up to 3 years old now and extended warranty has been offered. £400 for 12 months... worth it or rip off?

Have a look at the All-in-plan mate. 2 years extended warranty, 2 services, 2 MOTs and Breakdown cover. Think its about £32pm 0% but they often have discounts on it taking it down to around £27pm. Works out about £780 over the 2 years which is less than just the warranty you have been quoted.

Check the warranty terms around oil leaks. If you're offered one that covers that as well then consider it over the all-in-plan (which famously does not if you look at the crankshaft seal threads)

Personally I think either is worth it if you look at the costs of repairs that are covered. I intend to go with the all in when I reach that point as the warranty is almost free if you view it as a service plan with breakdown cover. I also think that having cover with VW Assist rather than a third party is worth it given the waits on main dealer services that they seem to be able to bypass.

Have a look at the All-in-plan mate. 2 years extended warranty, 2 services, 2 MOTs and Breakdown cover. Think its about £32pm 0% but they often have discounts on it taking it down to around £27pm. Works out about £780 over the 2 years which is less than just the warranty you have been quoted.
It is £1032 / £43 per month at the moment, loads of discount last year but none so far this year that I have seen = I took it out at the high price

That's jumped in price by quite a bit, around 25%. Late last year normal price was around £800.

I'm bad, I'm saving my £800 a year and using Indies, I've only got to do that for 9 years to benefit from a £7000 repair bill! Fool? Potentially.... My local VW dealer is a rob dog... I just wouldn't grace them with my presence!

That's jumped in price by quite a bit, around 25%. Late last year normal price was around £800.
Indeed it did and you can imagine how frustrating it was watching it for sale at a discount and incident buy it until 1st Jan when mine hit 3 years old and a few weeks before Christmas it went back up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m in the same place. Vans now coming up to 3 years old and looking at all in plan. And i am finding it hard to come to a decision- If it you base it on vw van centre prices it’s a no brainier but if I used an independent I would probably get a better service for less money. Also the get out clauses around oil seals and dpf/egr are worrying.

I’m in the same place. Vans now coming up to 3 years old and looking at all in plan. And i am finding it hard to come to a decision- If it you base it on vw van centre prices it’s a no brainier but if I used an independent I would probably get a better service for less money. Also the get out clauses around oil seals and dpf/egr are worrying.
I’m feeling exactly the same. Van is 3 years old at the end of this month. Also finding it hard to make the decision.

My previous 2 Transporter didn’t shine for reliability.
On my 2016 the dpf and part of the exhaust needed to be replaced at just 50k miles and this claim alone was 4k!
Dsg box another expensive bill if it fails… or egr failure and Btdi issues…

My way of looking at it is 2 x services =£450ish, 2yrs RAC = £180ish, 2 x MOTs @ £100ish, and 2yrs warranty £500ish, if i get anything from the warranty is a bonus !
Not got yet going to ring dealer again he offered £888 christmas time, and i seen ppl here pay £666, was hoping that deal would pop back up !

Last yr they done an offer in july/August as the dealer said I just missed it in October when my van was due. Fair play he told me it's normally on offer in November for a black Friday deal so I just waited a month.
Had for £27.75 pmonth.

Reactions: CAB
Last yr they done an offer in july/August as the dealer said I just missed it in October when my van was due. Fair play he told me it's normally on offer in November for a black Friday deal so I just waited a month.
Had for £27.75 pmonth.
Thats a damn good price

I went on the all in one plan for £43/month
10 days later VW dropped the price by 20% so i cancelled and got the reduced price :eek:)

Reactions: CAB
Just bought a all in one plan on 12th march @ £43 i think and just seen its got a 20% off untill april 2nd ! aggh
Might try the 14day cooling off and rebuy !

Yes! Cool off, but get in quick, send the email this weekend before they can consider wriggling!

Just been quoted £43 for the All in 1 plan. My last plan finished 3 March but no contact from VW about renewal.
Has anyone looked at arranging Roadside Recovery and Extended Warranty with other companies out there?

Back