Thinking of getting a T6 panel van

5Catz

Hi guys,

Moving up from a Caddy Maxi so I don't have to use a trailer so have been checking out a few different vehicles. The Transit Custom is a cracker and some serious discounts available on a BSN. BUT decided not to go for it as the rear leaf spring suss is a very bumpy ride on the poor B roads which I think would be a pain in the long term. New Citroen dispatch smooth ride but V cramped cab and budget feel to it. So now it's down to The Transporter which I really like or the Vito.
More inclined to go for the T6 and should be the T28 150 E6 E6 as I think that the demonisation of diesels will get worse (they make it sound like petrol engines do not emit CO2 or NOX which I find really irritating and of course electric cars are emission free ? of course -- no emissions from the process of battery production or the power generated to charge them!)

The dispatch/expert/proace is available as a long wheelbase from next month with first customer deliveries in May. Load space volume is on a par with the transporter lwb. Proace has five year factory warranty. All three manufacturers score much better in driver power survey for reliability and dealer service (not hard because VW are languishing around the bottom of the table). You can haggle 30% off the list price at most dealers with no effort needed which takes the sting out of depreciation. 5 star NCAP rating. Long version takes 4m lengths of pipe/timber etc. 3.2 tonne 2 litre version has a payload of 1400kg and can tow 2500kg. Cab is not as spacious but the quality is not that bad - I checked one over in great detail. You even get a lamp in the glovebox (take note, VW). Fuel consumption better than VW by some margin. Look critically at the T6 interior and you can see cost cutting. Highline dash is same as startline, a swathe of questionable quality plastic. Highline steering wheel has lost the aluminium inlays and looks cheap. Same with headlight switch - bargain basement. Headlamps that need a 1200 factory option in order to make the vehicle safe to drive at night. 'A' pillar trims that are as thin as a fag paper.

As a tool for work, it trumps VW hands down. But it would make an unsavoury camper conversion. Do you want a tool or a toy?

Front end of the dispatch looks great. VW need to get their act together very quickly and show us something worthy of the badge.

i am happy with my first vw but keep away from the transit as i had a sport and was happy to see it go. If you want a good cheap van go for a renault or vauxhall or pay for the transporter.

HO I hear what you are saying and have not totally discarded the idea of the Citroen (car like drive)
Tool and toy for me but bigger van means no longer need to lug around a trailer. Driver seat in the Transit custom is light years ahead of the Transporter, much more comfortable.
The TC guys bang on about great ride quality--so I dug a little deeper on that and it's down to most of them having more than 200kg weight over rear axle so then it's as good as the VW. Not the case for me otherwise I would have bought one already.

If you want it for leisure as well as work then it has to be a transporter. The only place a toyota would get respect is a caravan club site full of old biddies

I've got a high spec T6 & Vito, if its its drive your after everyone in the office proofers the Vito as it is much more responsive and car like to drive the T6 but this has a lot more space internally.

Back