T6 Kombi - Parking, Rear & Auxiliary Heaters

crackon

Help needed guys please...just speccing a new T6 LWB Kombi and wondering which combination of these to go for.

I will be getting a rear caravelle conversion as a versatile slidey seat configuration is a must for me but I want the rear passengers to be warm in the depths of winter. I also want to be able to keep the van warm when not driving - so the parking heater is a definite straight away. The question is do I then need the rear heater? Has anyone used the parking heater for heating the rear when driving? My guess is that the output would be fine and therefore negate the need for the rear heater. Or are there any issues when driving that makes the parking heater not so good and the rear heater necessary, i.e get both?
That then leads on to the auxiliary coolant heater....does it really add that much or is it needed if I add the rear heater?

Or I could buy a duvet and keep in the van for the rear seaters.....

If you get the rear heater I would go for auxiliary heater ,as this helps warm the engine up ,the auxiliary heater can also be turned on with a remote or timer .This can pre warm the coolant system so van is up to temp when you start it .

Thanks carlg, that kind of makes sense. However, if I am definitely going with the parking heater which can also have a timer/remote, that could also warm the van (interior) up too in advance. I understand that you said warm the coolant as that's the purpose of the auxiliary, so was your emphasis/recommendation more on the engine (for wear and tear reasons) or that if the coolant is warm then this will end up being sent to the rear heater sooner?

I have the rear heater/cooling set up but it only work when the van is running. The heater is good this weather i dont no about the cooling part yet as i have only had the combi recently. Hopfully it will keep the kids quite anyway. the preheat set up sounds a good option for cold mornings as @carlg says. I dont now if the rear fan unit cools as well as heats but when i switch to cold setting, the air comes out of the roof vents ?

Thanks carlg, that kind of makes sense. However, if I am definitely going with the parking heater which can also have a timer/remote, that could also warm the van (interior) up too in advance. I understand that you said warm the coolant as that's the purpose of the auxiliary, so was your emphasis/recommendation more on the engine (for wear and tear reasons) or that if the coolant is warm then this will end up being sent to the rear heater sooner?
Yes it helps getting the heaters warmer sooner.I think at 5° or less the auxiliary heater comes on automatic to help warm the engine and coolant system .

The auxiliary heater is, as stated, good for warming the engine on cold start mornings (ambient below 5 degrees C) but how many cold start mornings will you do? The auxiliary heater uses more battery (significant when used without the engine running) and is slower to provide heat than a blown air version. There is no reason for not having both timer and remote start on a blown air type.
Depending on the use that the vehicle is to be put to be aware that the factory blown air heater exits at the base of the right 'B' post.
An Eberspacher or Webasto fitted after market with a modern controller can be set at specific temperatures and used just like a domestic central heating unit.
There is no reason not to use the night heater when on the move, I often do. In fact it is often left on all the time we are out and about in the winter so the vehicle is warm when we return to it from shopping etc. We do have leisure batteries to help with this.

The jury is still out on the efficiency of the charging system on factory fitted second batteries on Blue Motion vehicles but if you have use for one then that may be a good option at purchase time. It seems to be good enough on a California so I guess it cannot be a problem.

Other good options in my opinion are..
  • Factory fitted swivel seats but be aware that you cannot have height adjustable seats with factory swivels.
  • At least tow bar preparation if not the tow bar itself.
  • The additional dust seals for the front doors, these reduce noise in the cab, make the doors close with a much more car like sound and keep the door shut area a lot cleaner, for less than £25 they are a good option to have.
  • Sliding windows in the rear portion depending on the eventual use of the vehicle.
  • Rear air-con (I think comes with additional rear heater) but it gets in the way of other things if you are adding fitments inside the rear of the vehicle later.
  • Cab comfort pack, cruise control, auto LED lights and wipers etc. to make the driving experience nicer. Maybe this would all come together as a High Line Kombi at a better over all price?
All of this depends on the use that you are going to put the vehicle to.

Rod

Thank you @carlg,@StudleyGlass & @rod_vw all very useful points. I was going to order a Highline Kombi and had considered most of the mentioned points. Hadn't thought about towbar prep but could be v. handy for resale down the line. You can get the rear heater alone or with the air-con too. The interesting point there, as @carlg pointed out, is whether you can get cool air (not cooled as in a/c) out of the heater without the a/c add-on or is the rear heater purely that, a heater. The other bugbear is that if I decide to go with the rear heater that means I can't order the comfort dash. But if I can manage with just the parking heater then the comfort dash will win there.

This is the option i went for

Climatic cab and passenger/load compartment air conditioning (semi-automatic) Panel van/kombi £1,245.00 £1,494.00 £1,245.00 £1,494.00 £765.00 £918.00 with manually controlled passenger/load compartment heating system. Only in combination with full-height load side lining in passenger/load compartment

Go for the comfort dash if you have the option! I've just bought a Highline LWB 140ps (yes Euro 5) T6 Kombi, it was a 'pre-reg' from dealer's stock. It has the new T6 basic dash which in my opinion is 'pants'. Who ever designed it needs a change of employment, preferably outside the VW organisation. My personal opinion of course.

If you are not in a hurry from personal experience you may find it financially worth keeping an eye on the dealer's 'used' stock as brand new vehicles come up quite often. The one that I have had 13 miles on the clock when I test drove it with just 3 more by the time I took delivery. That is a Highline as above with LEDs and Nav. at what I considered a very reasonable price. Not exactly my best spec but the price far out weighed that as I can add the towbar, Eberspacher, leisure battery, seat swivels and in my case the additional rear windows because it will become a camper.

Rod

Back