T6.1 T30 Kombi - couple of questions before ordering.

NorthernJoy

VIP Member
T6 Pro
A warm hello to you all,

We (myself and the wife) have wanted a transporter for over 5 years since my friend bought a T5.1 California and now the stars have aligned and my family are in a good position to start the dream. So after 5 years of researching and a bookshelf full of VWT magazines I feel like I have done enough research. After looking at lots of second hand vans we have decided to buy new so off we went to local dealer yesterday and got a quote, right now I am needing some reassurance I am doing the right thing.

I am trying to order the spec to keep under £40k (Does the 5 year tax increase for +£40k apply to commercial vehicles as the salesman wasn't too sure) and add only essential items with the plan retro fit options at a later date. The van will be used primarily as a daily driver, 2nd as a day camper (Designing my own bed system for the back as I have welder, tools and materials to hand, inspired by 40 winks) and third as a van for van things like carrying motorbike to track days etc. The spec I have ordered is below with some notes based on my thinking:

VW Transporter Kombi T30 SWB 2.0TDi 150 Highline DSG -- I wanted the 4-motion as being in Scotland it may come in handy but after thinking about it winter / AT's may be ok? any thoughts on this? Plus should be able to weigh under 2040KG and class as MPV for normal speed limits and Class 4 MOT.
LED Lights all round -- After being a lurker for many years this option is a no-brainer.
Rear view Camera -- Maybe getting older but just more information for the driver when reversing, plus can't live without it in the Golf now.
1+2 Rear seats -- Made sure it was ISOFIX as we have a little one arriving in August.
80L fuel tank -- Round trip of NC500 on one tank of fuel. for £65 again a no brainer.

Colour Pure Grey or Bay Leaf Green (CAN NOT DECIDE......)

OTR £39k, delivery in August 2021.

Well that's my basic list, After delivery I plan to add insulation/carpeting, second battery plus outlets, lights, EHU, 12V fridge, awning, swivel seats and night heater. These seem to be the basic must-haves for a good camping trip mainly staying on camp sites with one or two nights of wild park ups in the Scottish highlands. When camping I always take a bin bag and picker-uppers to clear the area of any rubbish for that good feeling / karma.

Does this sound like a good plan or would anyone add/subtract anything? Also not too bothered about delivery date as it gives me three - four months to stock up on the required equipment / materials to convert to a day camper and come to terms with how much money we spent ha ha.

Also after delivery it will go to a detailer for full detail, PPF on the front and waxoil (or whatever the current method is) underneath.

Thanks for reading, can't wait to start our adventures.
NJ

Last edited:
You mention kombi. That might be Jan earliest if you don’t challenge your dealer that they have the allocation to deliver. I am OTR £45k T32 DSG LWB 204 twin electric doors plus loads on my fast buil order so seems good.

Fill your boots and enjoy

Thanks for the reply yours seems like a really good spec, I placed the order today, as above spec in Bayleaf Green but got them to chuck in both front swivel seats. Really chuffed, I test drove both the 150 and 204 and I like the poke of the 204 but honestly for what we are going to use it for the 150 is fantastic. Dealer has said Late July for delivery, VW will apparently take a few days to process the order so I hope he is right and I get a good build week, but if its Jan well so be it we have waited 5 years whats another 8 months.

My internet history is now full of VW sites and my spreadsheet list is going by the minute ha ha, I am over the moon with our decision.

I've just gone from a 4x4 (Touareg) to a FWD 150 DSG. Perfectly fine on ungritted roads with all season tyres. I would save your money.
Would also save your money and wax it yourself. £8 for a tin of Simonitz (and a full day of elbowgrease) and mine looks the Dogs.

Yep, detailing is a lot of cash. You can pick up the stuff yourself and save yourself £100’s

Thanks for the advice, It's only been a week and the wait is already unbearable ha ha. I think I'll take your advice after watching loads of YouTube videos, I have ordered a ton of stuff already for converting to day van and for detailing. Last thing to really decide on is which heater. Kinda want to do the OEM cali heat ducting as I will have to cut the chassis anyway and I can possible get my hands on a press that will also form the structural lip on the bottom half of the hole (Plan on doing a build thread so may document it there). Also want to put a digital switch panel in the upper cubby hole, got nothing better to do so this is growing arms and legs but I know I should keep it simple.

As for the winter up here we have a Golf 7R as our family daily and that (with proper winter tires) turns into a WRC car when it snows, just has rubbish ground clearance though.

I've just gone from a 4x4 (Touareg) to a FWD 150 DSG. Perfectly fine on ungritted roads with all season tyres. I would save your money.
Would also save your money and wax it yourself. £8 for a tin of Simonitz (and a full day of elbowgrease) and mine looks the Dogs.
Got a link to the Simonitz you went for? A day of elbow grease sounds worth it! We have a 150 DSG and it is more than “up to the job”, I agree

Got a link to the Simonitz you went for? A day of elbow grease sounds worth it! We have a 150 DSG and it is more than “up to the job”, I agree

Just search for simonitz original wax, comes in a round tin. Think it needs reapplying every 3 months. I just wet wax it with turtle wax or other budget wet wax on a regular basis
Towed my 1.6 ton caravan with it last week as well, very impressed

Power latching are manual sliding doors with an electronic clasp that closes the door so you don't have to slam it.

Power sliding doors are fully electric and open and close on the press of a button.

Hope that makes sense??

Power latching are manual sliding doors with an electronic clasp that closes the door so you don't have to slam it.

Power sliding doors are fully electric and open and close on the press of a button.

Hope that makes sense??

Not sure about how it would affect a camper though.

Camping around where other people are sleeping, the sound of the doors slamming might be annoying to some.

So I'd suggest if you think this might be something you'd be interested in doing, then best do it before fitting out your interior.

Maybe its a luxury, but I don't miss the run-up needed to close the sliders only to find it hasn't engaged so you have to do it again.

Could I ask what the difference with ‘power latching’ and ‘power closing’ is? In particular how it would affect a camper build?
As described by @VioletVW above!I’d just add that “power closing” comes with an annoying beep as the door closes….lovely sound to pierce the air at night on a campsite when one nips out for a pee!!

Hope that makes sense??
Many thanks! With regards camper conversion, I think I’ve seen an additional lump of plastic trim covering what I would assume is the motor for power closing, around the rear wheel arch (drivers side I think) and so assume it might affect fitting cabinets and electrics. If the power latching doesn’t come with that then it sounds like a no brainer!

On our order MY19 I added following factory items-
-removable tow bar, for shipping bikes about.
-Swivel seats, which removed the bulk head, and upgraded the roof panels. Saves a job
-Carpet in cab area instead of rubber floor.

Back