T5 Shuttle To T6 Kombi Change

coullstar

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Considering a change from our 2.5 T5 Shuttle and I was initially considering a T6 shuttle however more I look there seems to be plenty of Kombi's that meet a lot of the spec that I want within a better budget.

Only thing Im concerned about is loosing the shuttle rear compartment spec (heater, windows, trim etc) and it being more van like. Current one is used as a family car and generally for throwing dogs/mountain bikes (up to 4), camping gear into.
Anyone done this change with any feedback to give back?

Must spec (as we currently have) is, captain seats, twin sliding doors, tailgate, air con, 2+1 split rear seats. Only other thing is the commercial rating over the MPV rating with the shuttle but that shouldn't be too much of an issue Id have thought.

Just looking for any feedback on this move and potential issues.

hi mate I think kombis are restricted to van speed limits where the shuttle/caravelle are car speed limits and chris g a member on here as a kombi for sale [page 4 sales section] top spec van worth a look :thumbsup:

My 2016 LWB Kombi has all the options you are looking for and also heated seats, screen 4Motion etc. There are loads of well specified Kombis out there.
The biggest difference I think is the noise level but you can do something about that if it bothers you.
Also lots of information on the forum about speed limits, at the end of the day you will have to make up your own mind.
I have a T32 which is speed limited due to the weight, A T30 or 28 would be fine.

Considering a change from our 2.5 T5 Shuttle and I was initially considering a T6 shuttle however more I look there seems to be plenty of Kombi's that meet a lot of the spec that I want within a better budget.

Only thing Im concerned about is loosing the shuttle rear compartment spec (heater, windows, trim etc) and it being more van like. Current one is used as a family car and generally for throwing dogs/mountain bikes (up to 4), camping gear into.
Anyone done this change with any feedback to give back?

Must spec (as we currently have) is, captain seats, twin sliding doors, tailgate, air con, 2+1 split rear seats. Only other thing is the commercial rating over the MPV rating with the shuttle but that shouldn't be too much of an issue Id have thought.

Just looking for any feedback on this move and potential issues.

I haven’t moved from shuttle to Kombi, I went straight for a Kombi, but for your needs a Kombi sounds better suited than a shuttle.

I use ours as my daily drive and family vehicle, regularly carrying dogs/bikes(4)/inflatable kayaks/SUPs and it’s brilliant. 2+1 rear seats definitely suits that better than rear bench.

You won’t have a rear heater, although one could be retro fitted, but you’ll still have windows where the kids are sitting. The rear of my van is insulated, sound proofed and carpeted which makes it much more luxurious than the average van, it’s not really van like in there at all.

Whats the crack with newer Kombi's and road tax? Tried a 2019 Shuttle today and was told it was £420 for road tax due to original cost and would be like that for a few years.

Need to try a Kombi, thing is I would like a Tsi so very few options on them. Found a 150tsi shuttle LWB at the local dealers with only 2800miles on it and cant remember the last time I saw a Tsi shuttle for sale.

I believe the Shuttle is an MPV for VED and the Kombi is a van. Big issue for California owners right now as far as I know because they have been tagged as MPV's.

Whats the crack with newer Kombi's and road tax? Tried a 2019 Shuttle today and was told it was £420 for road tax due to original cost and would be like that for a few years.

Need to try a Kombi, thing is I would like a Tsi so very few options on them. Found a 150tsi shuttle LWB at the local dealers with only 2800miles on it and cant remember the last time I saw a Tsi shuttle for sale.

I have LWB and quite a few friends have SWB T6, they have all said they wish it was LWB at some point in the past. I have never wanted a SWB....
The upside on space quickly outweighs the downside on parking etc. Get the reversing camera though, invaluable :)

Back