T5.1 antenna no reception issue

Rosiecamper

Hi everyone. I have a 2010 t5.1 with the upgraded radio unit but no stations available. I've made various upgrades including replacement of the side mirrors. I wasn't aware at the time that the radio antenna is supposed to be located in the N/S door mirror. On looking at the old mirror there is a cut loom which I think is probably the antenna connection. I haven't investigated the body /dash to see if there is any remaining part of this loom.
Is there a replacement antenna available that I can install to solve the "no radio reception" issue.

Thanks.

Where is it cut? Is it before (ie on the antenna side of) the connection into the loom behind the door card?

And have you still got the old mirror with the antenna in it?

This is what happened to me, which might be similar in how to remedy. See @Dellmassive ’s install guide link in the thread - invaluable.

Hello. The DAB radio on my T6 isn’t picking up stations at all. It’s not the transmitter as other radios work. I yanked the head unit and the aerial is still connected. Today I was giving the cab a good clean and discovered this (please see image). Maybe the previous owner had a new driver’s mirror and the old cable was snipped to aid pulling it through. Can anyone confirm that the DAB wing mirror has a connector like this? And presumably the connection is made behind the door card in the bag?View attachment 138848

Where is it cut? Is it before (ie on the antenna side of) the connection into the loom behind the door card?

Thanks for your reply. I’m not sure. I was doing lots of upgrades over the winter which included replacement of the manual door mirrors with heated electric from Travelinlite. Neither mirror had any wiring feeding it and it wasn't until later while investigating the radio reception issue that I found out the location for the antenna was the mirror body. I am assuming that as my van is the older version the wiring would be only in the N/S (no GPS or Dab) I looked at the removed N/S mirror and there is the remains of a loom sticking out.
I was wondering if there is an alternative antenna kit that would address this issue. It's not major as I can play most stations through car play but things like this annoy me. Thanks.

Hi. I only have experience with the wing mirror antenna. Hopefully one of the big guns will be along shortly who had a T5. There does appear to be a few choices of OEM FM antenna out there on eBay.

4637EC9D-B9DC-4D39-88E8-037A41284E7F.jpeg

Hi
I have an oem drivers side mirror aerial that I swapped out for a new one.
DAB was still crap, worse if anything, my issue is with the daytime driving light's causing emf confusion through the loom, I disconnected the lights and works 10x better……
Not your issue by sounds,
but I have a good aerial for dab mirror mount if needed …. have rns315 dab unit

Hi
I have an oem drivers side mirror aerial that I swapped out for a new one.
DAB was still crap, worse if anything, my issue is with the daytime driving light's causing emf confusion through the loom, I disconnected the lights and works 10x better……
Not your issue by sounds,
but I have a good aerial for dab mirror mount if needed …. have rns315 dab unit
Thanks. Mines is an older t5.1 so no dab option. I think the head unit is the usual owner upgrade (I've seen it on youtube) and it works great via apple carplay. I'm going to check out the antenna option on ebay as previously suggested and if that's a complete plug and play solution I'll go with that.
Appreciate your response.

Hi. There are window film antenna that will work too. Think this one needs an adapter. I wonder if @Absolut5 is the man to point you in the right direction here. I only have experience with the wing mirror antenna.

D5103CA5-336A-48F1-BF1B-03FD0379DF62.jpeg

Thanks. Mines is an older t5.1 so no dab option. I think the head unit is the usual owner upgrade (I've seen it on youtube) and it works great via apple carplay. I'm going to check out the antenna option on ebay as previously suggested and if that's a complete plug and play solution I'll go with that.
Appreciate your response.
Do you have a picture of the headunit ?

I hope you can see the attached image. I think this is an upgrade from the original. I e removed it and there is definitely an added harness between the radio and the original loom. There is also an antenna connection (single wire) going left towards the glovebox but I haven’t investigated further.
Thanks for your reply.

1A0FA31C-C4AB-459F-8855-BB5E8814A72D.jpeg

Hi everyone. I have a 2010 t5.1 with the upgraded radio unit but no stations available. I've made various upgrades including replacement of the side mirrors. I wasn't aware at the time that the radio antenna is supposed to be located in the N/S door mirror. On looking at the old mirror there is a cut loom which I think is probably the antenna connection. I haven't investigated the body /dash to see if there is any remaining part of this loom.
Is there a replacement antenna available that I can install to solve the "no radio reception" issue.

Thanks.
i’ve used this never had so many stations perfect even works for AM

image.jpg

Back