Stephen Hawking

now he's dead does that mean there is a job going where all you do is think ... come up with theories and can prove nothing ?

Radio 6 Music did a great mashup this morning of Eric Idle singing The Galaxy Sing with Hawking ‘singing’ the classic last verse. Really well done.

The man was a genius and I expect that the relevance and true value of much of his work will only be realised and used by generations to come. Putting aside whether you see any immediate value in what he delivered you have to respect the man for surviving to 76 after a diagnosis at age 21 that predicted he'd be dead before he was 25 - this has to be an inspiration and give hope to thousands of others getting a similar diagnosis. The thought of having so much going on in my head and only being able to express via movement of a cheek muscle scares me!!

To lighten the tone (and no disrespect intended); on the day when Jim Bowen and Stephen Hawking both died it was good to see that tradition was upheld and the non-dart player went first!

Another inappropriate comment

The majority of his earnings would have been from book sales (Brief History of Time sold 10 million copies) and he's paid more tax than most of us here.
(as a side note UK Higher Education earns about £10Bn in export earnings a year - without the biggest and best brains at the top people won't want to study here...)
The 'fix the roads' or 'pay academics' isn't a real choice we need to make, we are rich enough in the UK to do both - if your roads are not getting fixed it's the politician's we are voting in to office fault (or ours for not wanting to pay enough tax for it to happen)

To be honest I was expecting more of a thread about his choice of wheels/number plate/LWB/grill ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
These sort of posts make me wonder if this is the right forum for me to be a member of. It is sad that such a wealth of knowledge of all things T6 is demeaned by such ignorance. If ever there was a case for censorship on this forum this sums it up.

These sort of posts make me wonder if this is the right forum for me to be a member of. It is sad that such a wealth of knowledge of all things T6 is demeaned by such ignorance. If ever there was a case for censorship on this forum this sums it up.

I think this a great forum with fantastic members and hope that you feel that is worth staying a member. While i disagree with the comments we are all entitled to our thoughts
sorry for sounding serious :thumbsup::thumbsup:

World Class Scientist, Engineers, Inventors.
The UK is the Number 1 country in the world, by a country mile.
Long may it continue....... I can't think of a more Noble pursuit than giving your life over to a pursuit which if you are very lucky Genius will lead to world fame; and if you are a unlucky Genius, anonymity

Back