Squeaking on idle.

JonriceT6

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’ve noticed recently when my T6.1 is cold, there is a loud squeak on idle. When I rev that squeak goes away and returns when idling again.
Anyone know what this could be?

Aux belt and its tensioner.

There have been previous service actions to replace the tensioner, you are under warranty, so raise it with your dealer.

Aux belt and its tensioner.

There have been previous service actions to replace the tensioner, you are under warranty, so raise it with your dealer.
Excellent advice

I’ve had this the past couple of mornings. About a month ago I had the cam belt and pump changed and the guy said he’d changed another belt, can’t remember if it was the aux. Is it a serious problem that needs looking into?

My auxiliary belt was overhanging the tensioner slightly and I was worried it’d eventually slip off and I’d lose power steering, charging and air con.

I’ve also heard that they can get dragged into the timing belt if you’re unlucky too.

For some time, mine was squeaking only when cold but after a cam belt and new aux belt it got worse and was squeaking all the time.

I just changed both myself rather than speak with the garage.

Last edited:
The main bulk of the 2L engine is the same on all models.
Its the date of manufacture that governs what revision of components like the tensioner you may have.

The main bulk of the 2L engine is the same on all models.
Its the date of manufacture that governs what revision of components like the tensioner you may have.
2017 EU6 CXGB. Aux tensioner was a ‘B’ revision, replaced with an ‘L’ revision.

Back