Sparks advice, spur query and dimplex fire

ma77y

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi fellas,

I've built a fake chimney breast in living room, there is a double socket next to it that I'd like to spur off.

I'll be using 2.5 t&e.

Question 1. Can the spur be split into 2 sockets (via wago connectors mounted in appropriate box), one single and one double?

Question 2. Should both sockets have fcu's

Question 3. Will it be safe to run a dimplex electric stove off the single socket and TV and sound bar off the double socket provided they have fcu's

Any advice welcomed

Thanks

Firstly you need to make make sure the existing socket is on the ring main and not already a spur (if it’s a spur will only have one cable in it)

You should only spur of the ring main once so if you tap off that existing socket it should only go to one new point else you will be making a spur off a spur which is technically not allowed

Yeah I have checked all sockets and it's a ring main.

Thanks for the reply @Pauly, I have heard that you're only allowed one spur per socket but then I've also heard that if the spur has an fcu you can add more.

I've been give the number of a spark and will quiz them about it.

Up against it really as I've been trying to get a spark do this for a while and no one has quoted so far.

Plasterer is due Tuesday and wanted it doing for then :oops:

If your happy the original socket is on the ring then just run two cables and extend the ring circuit to both the new points, job done

Hi @ma77y, firstly please make sure that it is 100% a ring main. The only sure way to know is to test it, it’s not possible to confirm if it is a ring from a visual check, even if you look at all the sockets. You can connect 2 sockets Via a fcu from a ring main, eg ring main socket - fcu - new socket 1 - new socket 2. There should be no reason to use Wago’s to achieve this. What is the rating of the stove?

FD7FE59E-E905-4B93-B278-625E01B93B61.jpeg

Cheers brother, It's a 2kw heater so will be pulling 8.7A. We've just been recommended a spark that my brother in law used to wire his bar and hot tub. He's going to call round tomorrow evening and do some testing first and see if he can do it there and then.

After a lengthy chat one the phone He's also agreed to upgrade the supply to my garage which means I can upgrade to a bigger welder :sneaky:.

Thanks for all your help

Back