Do I need an inverter?

musttriharder

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I'm in the process of spec'ing camper conversion and I need a bit of advice please.

I have a T6 Kombi that I plan on fully converting in 2 stages:

Stage 1 is roof, insulated, carpeted, electrics (2 x 12v sockets, 2 x USB points, 2 x 240v sockets, 4 x LED spot, 2 x led reading lights, dimmer switch), diesel heater, solar panel and fridge (Waeco CRX50 or similar)
Stage 2 Reimo seat / bed and kitchen

As far as electrics are concerned, I know I need a split charger, EHU + consumer unit, power management, 110ah leisure battery and 12v fuse box and from what I've seen, this will all fit under bonnet / driver / passenger seats

The only thing I'm not sure about is an inverter - do I need one? If I do, would one of the 240v sockets run off that? What size would be appropriate? It'd be convenient to boil a travel kettle, but not essential as we have a camp stove. Not planning on running tv's etc - kettle and fridge would be the biggest draws

The majority of the time, we'd be using the EHU, so everything would run off that, but I'd like the option to be able to go for up to 3 days 'off grid', save for a 150a solar panel

The van is our family car and so I'd like to be able to remove the fridge / switching it off when not needed (I plan on putting it in a removable housing until the kitchen is fitted)

Thanks!

We have one, and don't actually use it in our camper.
You can use your camp stove for the kettle, and run your fridge off 12v.

Peter

If you're investing at this level then I'd say fit one - having the flexibility to use 230v whilst off grid is useful. I forgot to recharge my battery for my golf trolley overnight whilst staying in an hotel on a lads' golfing tour, (my wife thinks we bought a camper but what we have is the best lads' golf tour bus EVER!;)) but I could charge it in the van off the 230v. I'd also say fit more USBs - if you're going for reading lights you can get them with a pair of USB ports in the switch base - I run my wifi router off one permanently and it's tucked away discretely. So much stuff runs off USBs these days.

If you're investing at this level then I'd say fit one - having the flexibility to use 230v whilst off grid is useful. I forgot to recharge my battery for my golf trolley overnight whilst staying in an hotel on a lads' golfing tour, (my wife thinks we bought a camper but what we have is the best lads' golf tour bus EVER!;)) but I could charge it in the van off the 230v. I'd also say fit more USBs - if you're going for reading lights you can get them with a pair of USB ports in the switch base - I run my wifi router off one permanently and it's tucked away discretely. So much stuff runs off USBs these days.
Thanks - the reading lights will have usb sockets in and I’ve gone for 2 x 12v sockets so I can put adapters in if needs be.

Where to site an inverter is the main issue really in Stage 1 as I’m trying to keep everything hidden where possible

Last edited:
I would get one fitted at this stage if your budget allows although I don't think it would be great hassle to retrofit one later as long as you have the space.
We have just had our van converted and in hindsight would have been good to have one fitted then.....we are a bit coffeecionado and wife bought me a mini Nespresso coffee machine for chrimbo so we would like to use this off grid every now and again....so I will have to retrofit maybe a 2000w inverter to use occasionally but it may well end up opening other avenues. Good luck!

It's handy to have one for the odd occasion i've used it... but it zaps the battery so you are generally better having the engine running while using the inverter...

I have a 2500 Watt one fitted, neatly boxed in, in the dead space behind the drivers seat... it's just wired to one socket.

20210120_130947.jpg

It's handy to have one for the odd occasion i've used it... but it zaps the battery so you are generally better having the engine running while using the inverter...

I have a 2500 Watt one fitted, neatly boxed in, in the dead space behind the drivers seat... it's just wired to one socket.

View attachment 99443
@JasonW

I noticed your 2 seat tidy storage hangers. I`ve been looking for some decent usable ones on and off for a while. Do you mind me asking where you got them from?
Thanks

Most domestic electric kettles are well over 2kw. That means typically you'd be taking in the region of 200 amps from your leisure battery.
It would be dead in minutes ;)
Even so called 'camping kettles' are about a kilowatt, roughly 100 amps.
Whatever current a mains appliance uses, that is multiplied by 20 when using a 12v inverter. Use gas!

@JasonW

I noticed your 2 seat tidy storage hangers. I`ve been looking for some decent usable ones on and off for a while. Do you mind me asking where you got them from?
Thanks
Looks like these:

Most domestic electric kettles are well over 2kw. That means typically you'd be taking in the region of 200 amps from your leisure battery.
It would be dead in minutes ;)
Even so called 'camping kettles' are about a kilowatt, roughly 100 amps.
Whatever current a mains appliance uses, that is multiplied by 20 when using a 12v inverter. Use gas!
Thanks - from the researching the forum I'd come to that conclusion, but just wanted to canvas opinion!

I'm in the process of spec'ing camper conversion and I need a bit of advice please.

I have a T6 Kombi that I plan on fully converting in 2 stages:

Stage 1 is roof, insulated, carpeted, electrics (2 x 12v sockets, 2 x USB points, 2 x 240v sockets, 4 x LED spot, 2 x led reading lights, dimmer switch), diesel heater, solar panel and fridge (Waeco CRX50 or similar)
Stage 2 Reimo seat / bed and kitchen

As far as electrics are concerned, I know I need a split charger, EHU + consumer unit, power management, 110ah leisure battery and 12v fuse box and from what I've seen, this will all fit under bonnet / driver / passenger seats

The only thing I'm not sure about is an inverter - do I need one? If I do, would one of the 240v sockets run off that? What size would be appropriate? It'd be convenient to boil a travel kettle, but not essential as we have a camp stove. Not planning on running tv's etc - kettle and fridge would be the biggest draws

The majority of the time, we'd be using the EHU, so everything would run off that, but I'd like the option to be able to go for up to 3 days 'off grid', save for a 150a solar panel

The van is our family car and so I'd like to be able to remove the fridge / switching it off when not needed (I plan on putting it in a removable housing until the kitchen is fitted)

Thanks!
Hi, It really depends on what you intend to run while not plugged in. We have fitted 3kw inverters for guys who want coffee machines etc but these are for specific requirements.

For a kettle, I would suggest using your gas hob. You can always take a mains kettle for use on camp sites.

If you need to charge laptops etc they are handy, but generally we don’t fit them. You can always have a small plug in type if you find you do need something to charge (these will be smaller output of course compared to wired in type).

All the best.
Ian :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would get one fitted at this stage if your budget allows although I don't think it would be great hassle to retrofit one later as long as you have the space.
We have just had our van converted and in hindsight would have been good to have one fitted then.....we are a bit coffeecionado and wife bought me a mini Nespresso coffee machine for chrimbo so we would like to use this off grid every now and again....so I will have to retrofit maybe a 2000w inverter to use occasionally but it may well end up opening other avenues. Good luck!
I discovered that Nespresso machines require a Pure Sine Wave inverter, not the cheaper modified sine wave versions, which makes it an expensive luxury. This was also the case for my DeLonghi Espresso machine. I do get by with a 1500W one though (though the original, modified sine wave, one was 2kW).

I discovered that Nespresso machines require a Pure Sine Wave converter, not the cheaper modified sine wave versions, which makes it an expensive luxury. This was also the case for my DeLonghi Espresso machine. I do get by with a 1500W one though (though the original one was 2kW).
Yes in know it may seem like an expensive luxury but its not at the top of my ever growing list...Spoke with the guy at Off Grid Campers who was very helpful and informed I would need a Pure Sine wave inverter....maybe ill put that on my Christmas list next year lol!

IMO. No you don’t, we camp for weeks at a time, mostly off site. The only thing we ‘needed’ mains power for is to charge electric toothbrushes. That’s solved by Phillips Ultrasonic which seems to last weeks on one charge. We don’t use gas, just a Wallas XC Duo for cooking and heating.

Yes in know it may seem like an expensive luxury but its not at the top of my ever growing list...Spoke with the guy at Off Grid Campers who was very helpful and informed I would need a Pure Sine wave inverter....maybe ill put that on my Christmas list next year lol!
It does feel good to be able to have a fresh coffee when we get back to the van after a walk, and I was able to have 3 - 4 coffees each day I was at Busfest in 2019 without killing the battery. This was with the fridge (12v) keeping my beer cold, but a 160W solar panel keeping the battery topped up. I had already had the wiring etc installed for the modified one, so I felt I had to pay the extra for a pure sine wave one when the modified one was no good.

Personally i wouldn't be without my 2.5kw pure sign, i got it as i wanted a microwave in the van as i find it far a far more convince way of cocking something quickly. the added benefit is i have mains available should the need arise, I've used it to power laptops, soldering irons, glue guns, phone chargers (normally other peoples as i have my own variant in 12V form) id take the inverter over the mains hook up any day, but then some people would (and do!) say the opposite...i guess its all down to how and where you use your van

Heating water uses an incredible amount of energy.

Best using fossil fuel kettle until we are fully lithiumed up.

Back