Spare wheel security bolt / shroud

snoop6060

T6 Pro
Mine was removed yesterday in 15mins with a hammer, 2 centre punchs, needle nose pliers and a wrench. Fortunately this was intentional as I was fitting an lpg tank with a mate and inexplicably didn't have the locking nut. He took one look and said I'll get that off. Bit of a fight and it's not even damaged.

So make sure it's as tight as you can humanly get it and the little nipple that stops the shroud being turned is absolutely flush. Not even a gap of a mm. Still can be removed but a fair bit harder. My shroud moved about 1mm which made undoing the bolt with needle nose pliers and a wrench a bit of a fight but fairly trivial.

Cheers
Si

I do wonder why it such a simple pattern and it seems to be the same where ever you purchase the bolt. At least vehicles vary the pattern making it a little harder for thieves. The way it is, is a bit like giving everyone same front door key!
I think this small cost item should be factory fitted and the pattern should match the main wheels. (VW are soooo penny pinching). I have same opinion about front door dust seals and the six tail gate trim plugs, having to fit them aftermarket leave me with a bad impression of VW.

The pattern of the bolt was what made it easy. If it had been similar to the alloy locking bolt then no chance. The holes can be gripped with good quality needle nose pliers and turned with a wrench. Being able to slip the shroud even a tiny bit makes the whole process quite easy. It's still possible even if you don't. The holes can also be hit with a centre punch and hammer to turn the nut a touch before using the pliers / wrench to do the rest.

The hole alignment on the head does vary from bolt to bolt, they all look similar but the socket will not fit all units

Mine was removed yesterday in 15mins with a hammer, 2 centre punchs, needle nose pliers and a wrench. Fortunately this was intentional as I was fitting an lpg tank with a mate and inexplicably didn't have the locking nut. He took one look and said I'll get that off. Bit of a fight and it's not even damaged.

So make sure it's as tight as you can humanly get it and the little nipple that stops the shroud being turned is absolutely flush. Not even a gap of a mm. Still can be removed but a fair bit harder. My shroud moved about 1mm which made undoing the bolt with needle nose pliers and a wrench a bit of a fight but fairly trivial.

Cheers
Si
Which spare wheel lock are you using. I've got a sparesure on Sandy and it seems quite strong. Let's face it it's just a deterant if they want it that much they will have it. It's a bit like caravan hitch and wheel locks. If they want the van they will get it. The good thing is if you claim on insurance you have a better chance of claiming if you had the locks. Just remember to have photos to prove you had it. I also use a very good steering lock. Let's face it if there are two vans in the car park the same one with a lock and one without. Chances are they will go for the easy choice. I HOPE.

Back