Solar Panel

T6 Guru
I would like a portable solar panel to help service batteries, I do not want to mount anything on the roof. Why on the instructions of my Cali Ocean it is not recommended to connect the solar panel or charger directly to the 12 volt sockets (cigarette lighter)? Can I possibly connect a flying cable directly to the battery in the cabinet or under the seat?
thank you

The solar panel needs to be connected to a regulator before it is connected to any battery. The output of the regulator can be connected directly to the battery (presumably a leisure battery ?).

I assume that they advise against connecting a solar panel/regulator to the 12v sockets, as the current supplied from solar could blow the fuse for the 12v socket, and could overload the wiring to the 12v socket.

Pete

right, I had not thought of the fuse of the socket .... so if I connect the panel via its regulator to one of the two service batteries there are no problems?

Correct. That's how mine is connected.

A few things to bear in mind:

1. Use the correct gauge of wire. What you need will depend on the power of the solar panel and the regulator.
2. Put a fuse in the 12v line as close to the battery as possible, so that if there is an issue with the solar panel/regulator wiring, then the fuse will stop the battery dumping all its current where it shouldn't.
3. If you are going to use a connector to make connecting/disconnecting the portable solar panel easy, then make sure that it too is rated for the current that the solar panel will output.

Pete

Last edited:
I have a panel and regulator plugged directly into the cigar lighter socket, no problems at all as they are permanently live, the advice about not doing this in a car is that they are normally fed from the Terminal 30 supply and you would be powering up a circuit that should be off.

The panel I use is only 20W so will not blow any fuses, I can either plug it into the centre dash socket if I want to keep the starter battery topped up or plug it into the socket by the sink if I want to charge the leisure batteries.

IMG_0751.jpg

Last edited:
.... the fuse that protects the 12 volt sockets powered by the service batteries, how much is Ah? remaining within the range of this fuse with the provided by the panel should not spoil anything ..... and it would be very convenient ...

.... the fuse that protects the 12 volt sockets powered by the service batteries, how much is Ah? remaining within the range of this fuse with the provided by the panel should not spoil anything ..... and it would be very convenient ...
The 12v sockets have 15A fuses, the panel will not deliver more that 2amps all cables are rated for 15A.

we went for the mobile (temp) solution . . . . (to be used when on camping trips and weekends away etc)

from a company called Renogy, though we did upgrade the supplied PWM charge controller to a MTTP one from Victron.

Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase w/o Controller

Description
Looking for the perfect off-grid product? Well look no further! Renogy is excited to bring you solar and portability.

This portable solar panel is perfect for the adventurous traveler, providing both convenience and dependability when venturing off the grid. The Renogy 100W Solar Suitcase comes with two 50W Monocrystalline Solar Panels, one 15in set of wires with MC4 connectors, and one protective soft case for safe portability. With its adjustable aluminum stand, latches, and heavy duty handle, this 100W Solar Suitcase will change the way the world looks at portable power.

Shop Our Upgraded Version:Renogy 100 Watt Eclipse Solar Suitcase

Key Features
Reliable
  • Excellent performance in low-light environments.
  • Adjustable corrosion resistant aluminum stand, heavy duty handle and latches for longevity.
  • Protective casing.
Expandable
  • Designed for expansion, you can add panels to the the system based on your available space.

507.jpg

Renogy Official Site | All-in-one Solar Kit | solar panel kits | Portable Solar Generator

they have just released a new version too ... . . . . . .

Renogy 100W Eclipse Lightweight Suitcase with 10A Controller

Reactions: Loz
That's pretty much what we have done. I have made up some brackets so the solar panel can rest flat on the roof when parked up, or it can sit on the ground beside the van, angled towards the sun.

Back