Slidepods

T

Thogg

I went to see Jonny at Slidepods today with a view to getting my soon to be arriving van lined out properly.
I have to say "wow". Seriously impressed with the setup there. Not only that but Jonny's willingness to take the time to explain each stage of the lineout and why they do what they do and use what they use (which to a complete amateur like me was really important)
There are definitely cheaper options out there but in a land of you get what you pay for, I'll be booking my van in sooner rather than later.
Jonny if you read this then thank you for your time today. It really was appreciated.

I've had confirmation it's built and on it's way.. should be here first week of Jan..

Not one to rub it in but I got told mine will be ready for collection on the 21/12!.... oh wait... I guess I won't be having mine until the new year

Not one to rub it in but we got ours in May and in addition to 5 weeks in Europe, we've also spent 15 nights in it at various parties, festivals and pubs.
But you'll have newer reg plates :D

I went to see Jonny at Slidepods today with a view to getting my soon to be arriving van lined out properly.
I have to say "wow". Seriously impressed with the setup there. Not only that but Jonny's willingness to take the time to explain each stage of the lineout and why they do what they do and use what they use (which to a complete amateur like me was really important)
There are definitely cheaper options out there but in a land of you get what you pay for, I'll be booking my van in sooner rather than later.
Jonny if you read this then thank you for your time today. It really was appreciated.

Thanks very much for the vote of confidence. Like you say there are definitely cheaper options out there for lining than us but we have worked hard to produce a market leading lining system. Every product we use is Branded and traceable generally we tend to work direct with the manufacturer of each product or the sole (major) distributor, This allows us to learn from their (generally) vast technical knowledge of the product they supply us. You wont find any MDF (other than our custom CNC cut rear speaker rings) or fibreglass insulation stuffed into cavity's of vans we have lined and we wont tell you that unbranded closed cell foam is a "suitable soundproofing material". We used to be extremely secretive about how we went about lining vans and what materials we use but recently we decided to start openly shouting about how we do it in order to both show people why we charge more than £500 to line a van but also to help educate people as to what level of detail they should be looking for in the company's they trust to work on their pride and joy.

May I ask what your opinion is of foam insulation please.....I am considering the various methods of sound/thermal insulation and as a newbie awaiting his van in March am very interested in the views, experience and advice of forum members.

Can you be a little more specific please about exactly what kind of foam you mean or put up a link to the product so I can give you an honest and accurate opinion.

It's a spray on application, I would imagine along the lines of the foam sprayed onto the underside of roofs, I don't have any technical info on the product I'm afraid....I had initially thought of stick on sheet material followed by natural wool, but as per an earlier thread of mine, the options are many and there appears to be no scientific evidence to suggest one may be preferential to another, ie you pays your money....thanks for your prompt reply.

do you have a link to the product????
I'm obviously only able to speculate at exactly what we are talking about here but at a guess I'd say you are probably looking at a urathane based foam that wont be hugely different in its make up to builders expanding foam. Regarding soundproofing it might actually work pretty well as even though it wont add much mass to the panel it will add an enormous amount of ridgity and therefore dampen the reverberation pretty well. It will also keep the van well insulated no doubt about that, urathane based foams are famed for their thermal proporties and can be found in fridges, freezers and chiller vans. Would i put it in my brand new T6? Not on your nelly! Most urathane foams i have encountered stick like..... well lets just say they are very sticky. Therefore would cause you an enormous headache to remove if for any reason you needed to and who knows weather you will ever need to? There is a good reason that companys like us and absolute use virtually the same products when sound proofing and insulating a van (consider it would be much cheaper and faster to just squirt in some foam for us.)

Back