Skyline pop top installation video

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Sorry sure this has probably been posted but stumbled across the installation video for skyline pop top. Firstly this maybe useful for anyone looking at getting a pop top fitted but second, is it just me or is the whole process a little, how shall I put it.... basic?

I'm trying hard not to dwell on the the thought of someone cutting a big hole in the roof of my van, nor all the conceivable ways it could go very wrong. :eek: Tbh, this video has not put my mind at ease.

On the upside, I doubt there's few people on Earth that could stuff it up as badly as I would if I were to try and install it myself! :rofl:

My fitter used a nibbler to cut the hole which is a far more elegant method, but otherwise that video looks good.

Reactions: Bav
My fitter used a nibbler to cut the hole which is a far more elegant method, but otherwise that video looks good.
Had to look-up what a nibbler was :rolleyes:, but I like the look of them - little to no swarf created by the looks of it. Any idea why that's not the tool of choice for all fitters?

Was thinking about getting a pop-top fitted. (£4k!for a tent on top of my van) Don't think I'll bother now as watching this makes me panic that someone would do this to my van. Never trust anyone with an angle grinder and sparks flying everywhere.

Was thinking about getting a pop-top fitted. (£4k!for a tent on top of my van) Don't think I'll bother now as watching this makes me panic that someone would do this to my van. Never trust anyone with an angle grinder and sparks flying everywhere.
Not being able to stand up straight in the van is the thought that will drive me to have a pop-top fitted, though I understand your hesitancy and concerns.

Reactions: CAB
Had to look-up what a nibbler was :rolleyes:, but I like the look of them - little to no swarf created by the looks of it. Any idea why that's not the tool of choice for all fitters?
My fitter was an ex Honda employee, he worked at the factory in Oxford where they put him through an engineering degree so assume he had the best apprenticeship and learnt the best processes?

Reactions: Bav
Nibbler is much more professional. If I saw someone about to use an angle grinder, jigsaw or a reciprocating saw I would run a mile. Swarfe gets everywhere and causes rust

NOT a good idea using a grinder near any glass/paintwork! I'm an engineer and remembering working on a large building site back in the 90s, a bunch of (not very savvy) lads were using grinders when cutting metal ductwork inside a newly built glass building, caused 80 thousand pounds worth of damage to the glass exterior and tiled interior of the building. Hot metal pits anything like glass, paintwork, enamels etc. and in addition to this, any iron filings left on or in the bodywork will rust and cause further damage over time.

If you must use a grinder, always mask anything liable to being damaged and put a back-stop of thick cardboard etc, behind where you are cutting.

Use a nibbler if you are experienced using one, otherwise get someone who knows what they're doing to do it.

The only issue with a nibble is you can cut flush to another edge. They leave a 5mm lip all around.

What’s the reason for using pan head tech screws instead of rivets on the skyline pop tops, I used both in my trade at work at rivets are a much stronger fix and don’t come loose under movement like tech screws , I’m looking at having a skyline pop top myself so I watched the instal video and noticed they use tech screw and I just think rivets would be better

What’s the reason for using pan head tech screws instead of rivets on the skyline pop tops, I used both in my trade at work at rivets are a much stronger fix and don’t come loose under movement like tech screws , I’m looking at having a skyline pop top myself so I watched the instal video and noticed they use tech screw and I just think rivets would be better
I have no idea why they use tech screws but agree, machine rivets would be my preferred system of fixing, for the reasons you cited.

We just had a skyline roof fitted and our guys definitely used rivets.

20230428_144718.jpg

Back