Skiing

Pummer67

T6 Pro
What age did you take your kids ski ing. We haven't been now since our youngest was born. He's 4 now and we are contemplating going. Anyone with experience of taking youngsters?
Mark

4 is a great age to start. Just check that wherever you go to does cater for skiers of that age as some places prefer 5 or above.
Obviously you will not be able to ski around the mountain with him, so I would recommend someone like Club Med or Mark Warner who both provide comprehensive, flexible child care that includes getting the little ones ready for ski school and collecting them afterwards. That leaves you free to ski unhindered, but many parents only do half days, spending the other have with their kids - it depends on how happy they are in ski school.
I have nothing to do with either company, but have used them both in the past when my boys were younger - they are both now ski racers, and instructors/coaches at Pendle ski club. Talking of which, I would recommend a few lessons (for all) at your local ski slope (dry slope like Pendle or an indoor one) as it always helps to give your legs and balance a bit of training before heading to the Alps.
And yes, I am affiliated with Pendle Ski Slope, being a volunteer instructor myself.

Have taken my two every year since the youngest was 5, eldest 7, get them in ski school, gives you a few hours to go off, then you can spend the afternoon together, tobogganing , chucking snow balls or just sliding down the bunny slopes on your bum!!
Just a thought Norway is excellent for kids, slopes are incredibly quiet, instructors speak perfect English and are very friendly, no queues and the slopes have plenty of snow, and loads of other things to do.

I took my 2 kids when they were 6 and 7
I would suggest getting private ski instructors as they learn so much more and so much quicker.
My son is now 26 and I’m 50 the problem I have now because I am such a WONDERFUL father and got them private instruction, I can no longer keep up with them , and I have been sking 30+ years saying all that , I wish I started them even earlier.
Enjoy!! your kids will love it . We still ski at least once a year as a family and can not wait every year to get there.

I would suggest getting private ski instructors as they learn so much more and so much quicker.
Whilst I would agree that private lessons beats ski school hands down for instruction quality, you should bear in mind that sometimes your little ones will have more fun in lessons with other kids where they can make friends. Obviously this depends somewhat on your kids, so only you can decide which is best, but for them its usually all about the fun.

I agree 100% with what you say Shaun .
We used to book the children in for 2 hrs a day 1200-14.00 for private lessons when everyone else is having lunch and mountain is quieter. That ment we could ski alone for those two hours and when they were out of lesson we would take them to carry on and practice what they had been taught.
Best of both worlds really.
And they were miles ahead of the ski school lesson.
But as you said it’s all about children having fun .

Back