Sika has come unbonded

denz1968

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi there

Fixed my c-rail last bank holiday Saturday.

I put my roof up yesterday to find the rear section behind the pop top mechanism has come loose.

Any recommendations please

Thanks

A self drilling stainless steel screw through the flat bit of ally should fix it for good

Preferred not to do that if possible.

Many have said sika would fix it without the screw.

Did you stick the full length of the rail as sticking just the ends is going to put a lot of strain on the rail? Hard to see if it`s possible in the vid,

Did you key the rail face with a rough grit abrasive before applying adhesive?
The rail is very smooth as supplied and the metal oxidises immediately on contact with air, to get the best adhesion roughen it just before applying adhesive.
It looks like you will need to secure it down with a weight until the adhesive has cured.

Did you key the rail face with a rough grit abrasive before applying adhesive?

It looks like you will need to secure it down with a weight until the adhesive has cured.
No I didn’t key the back of it.

I used weights to weight it down and initially it was ok.

Did you stick the full length of the rail as sticking just the ends is going to put a lot of strain on the rail?
I didn’t no. The front part of the rail is held by the factory fitted roof rack bolts. So is solid up to the rear pop top hinge system.

I will remove at the weekend, key the back part and reapply the sika to the rail and bolt back on with weights to hold for a few hours

Back