Side Step Light - route from step to pillar ?

So I get the feeling this is me being a bit thick, as in the numerous side step light wiring threads, there’s not a single mention of it.
I was expecting a rubber bung under the step, which I would feed the wire through to get to the pillar, to feed the wire up to the loom, but there’s nothing. Also the pillar is blocked before the bottom, so even if I drilled through the step base of the van, I still don’t know how I’d get into the pillar. What’s everyone else done ? I’m as confused by how no one else has mentioned this as I am how to proceed !
Thanks.

This might help. Not my video but I've been looking at similar as I need some kind of automatic courtesy lighting in the back since I wired all the ceiling lights to the leisure battery.

The service manual seems to show a wire emerging from the seat belt hole in the C pillar and running down the inside face of the pillar, but then Kombis have trim here to hide it.

In kombis the wire comes from the front of the step (base of the b pillar) and is just laid in under the edge of the flooring
At first glance it doesnt seem that great of a route but the floor has peaks and troughs so it sits in the edge trough and the lip of the side step is over it so its reasonably protected

In kombis the wire comes from the front of the step (base of the b pillar) and is just laid in under the edge of the flooring
At first glance it doesnt seem that great of a route but the floor has peaks and troughs so it sits in the edge trough and the lip of the side step is over it so its reasonably protected
And then runs externally up the bottom of the pillar, until it can tuck inside ?
Hmm, thanks, I’m not sure how well my OCD will cope with that, as it’ll surely be noticeable under the carpet, when done, but at least I now know I’m not missing anything.

Anyone tried moving the side step illumination on to the ambient lighting. I'd really like to do that on the Caravelle.

And then runs externally up the bottom of the pillar, until it can tuck inside ?
Hmm, thanks, I’m not sure how well my OCD will cope with that, as it’ll surely be noticeable under the carpet, when done, but at least I now know I’m not missing anything.
Not sure we are on the page here
Assuming we are talking about the near side (uk passenger side) the wire comes from the light fitting at the back edge of the step and runs forwards tucked under the edge of the van flooring and goes under the cab flooring between the base of the b pillar and the passenger seat

Most are tucked under the rubber floor mat and is not noticeable in any way, some are tucked into the step itself held by little metal clips

Not sure we are on the page here
Assuming we are talking about the near side (uk passenger side) the wire comes from the light fitting at the back edge of the step and runs forwards tucked under the edge of the van flooring and goes under the cab flooring between the base of the b pillar and the passenger seat
Now I’m really confused ! Where are you heading for if your going towards the cab ? I thought I’d be going up the post next to the sliding door and connecting to near the first light in the rear roof.

If there’s one thing I just can’t do, it’s anything electrical. It’s like a mental block, my brain turns off, so I don’t even have the ability to think my way through it. It’s very frustrating.
Can anyone provide a link to a thread or video, which actually tells/shows you what to do ?
I’ve read/watched everything I can and can’t find a single thing that actually shows what to do. After a week, I’m about ready to give up and not bother wiring it in !
All it takes is a ten second video showing where the wire goes to and the route it takes.

Back