Show Us Your T5.1 Then

from a new forum member and fairly new (Aug ‘23) T5.1 owner. Put a little background in the welcome to the forum section, still working out the navigation, but a few pics…IMG_0257.jpegIMG_0260.jpegIMG_0297.jpeg

Looks great mate what’s the spec?
I’ve recently sold my t6 twin slider kombi and kept my t5.1 4motion which I’m slowly modding into a day/part camper

now that's a step you dont here often
Was paying big money a month for yes, it had dsg 204 sunroof Nav led twin slider oryx Pearl etc etc but EML on all the time had issues with egr from the get go, adblue all the time and the ride was great! I was looking to getting crs to sort suspension etc but got back from holiday and I jumped back into my t5.1 and I was like god it feels better built and it drove alot nicer than the t6! I love the look of the t6 but just couldn’t justify it at all. Was nice to tow the caravan with though the dsg

Looks great mate what’s the spec?
I’ve recently sold my t6 twin slider kombi and kept my t5.1 4motion which I’m slowly modding into a day/part camper
This is my first transporter, but my bro has a t6 kombi tsi dsg and it’s lovely, but out of my price range at the moment. Heard a few people mention build quality with t6’s but not witnessed anything as yet. Obvs no dpf or adblue issues with the tsi.
Mine’s a 102 startline panel van, previous owner removed bulkhead, fitted sportline style body kit and wheels, insulated and carpeted load area, side window in slider and a few other bits.
I’ve since fitted a pillar grab handles, wind detectors, Passat w8 interior light, a few other little cab creature comforts and just gone into winter spec with 17” GP7’s with Michelin Agilis Cross Climates and heated windscreen (fitted but not yet wired up).

IMG_0589.jpeg

IMG_0590.jpeg

This is my first transporter, but my bro has a t6 kombi tsi dsg and it’s lovely, but out of my price range at the moment. Heard a few people mention build quality with t6’s but not witnessed anything as yet. Obvs no dpf or adblue issues with the tsi.
Mine’s a 102 startline panel van, previous owner removed bulkhead, fitted sportline style body kit and wheels, insulated and carpeted load area, side window in slider and a few other bits.
I’ve since fitted a pillar grab handles, wind detectors, Passat w8 interior light, a few other little cab creature comforts and just gone into winter spec with 17” GP7’s with Michelin Agilis Cross Climates and heated windscreen (fitted but not yet wired up).

View attachment 219008

View attachment 219009
Nice!! I’m just about get set of 17 steel Modular’s with Michelin lattidues fitted.

I had agilis on my Clayton’s awesome tyre and last so long!!

I’ll get pics up of mine soon, I bought it from a cameraman for the bbc. He speced trendline but added heated seats, comfort pack, diff lock and upgraded stereo and multi function steering wheel. I’ve just fitted the extra door seals and dash seal to improve the cab and rubber matts. What is the Passat w8 light like? I’ve got led interior bulbs fitted.
Just the bodywork isn’t great on mine but will do that bit by bit.
And what wind deflectors did you fit? I’ve seen the climaair ones are supposed to be good.

I don’t miss the T6 one but the only big thing I did miss was it was a kombi (but I don’t need that now) so that’s fine but the led lights were amazing and the heated screen.
Where did you source your screen from?

Nice!! I’m just about get set of 17 steel Modular’s with Michelin lattidues fitted.

I had agilis on my Clayton’s awesome tyre and last so long!!

I’ll get pics up of mine soon, I bought it from a cameraman for the bbc. He speced trendline but added heated seats, comfort pack, diff lock and upgraded stereo and multi function steering wheel. I’ve just fitted the extra door seals and dash seal to improve the cab and rubber matts. What is the Passat w8 light like? I’ve got led interior bulbs fitted.
Just the bodywork isn’t great on mine but will do that bit by bit.
And what wind deflectors did you fit? I’ve seen the climaair ones are supposed to be good.

I don’t miss the T6 one but the only big thing I did miss was it was a kombi (but I don’t need that now) so that’s fine but the led lights were amazing and the heated screen.
Where did you source your screen from?
Pretty decent spec then!

The W8 light is alright, adds a subtle red glow at night, doesn’t really do too much, not off putting at all. I used an ignition live feed instead of a sidelight feed, as there was one already there, so it’s on whenever the ignition is, but you can’t even see it in the day.

Bodywork on mine needs a bit of tlc as well, along the line where the body meets the sills and bottom of the doors, only surface at the moment, so a job for after winter.

I have Heko wind deflectors, I’ve had them before on other vehicles and work well, and to be honest, I hadn’t even heard of the climair ones when I bought them… would be a bit reluctant to put a screw through the plastic trim, but would have to order a spare set of trims for if I ever wanted to remove them. Not even looked into how much they are.

I plan on making mine a “kombi” as want rid of the double seat in the front for a captains passenger, as long journeys on the double aren’t pleasant. And will need seating for 3+ occasionally.

Heated windscreen was from Motorscreens, based in Manchester, but nationwide I think. My Brother’s got a cracked screen couple weeks ago, insurance would only fit “whatever screen you get” which he wasn’t happy with, so looked at VW genuine, to find out of stock, back-order, possible wait of 9-18 months! Rang motorscreens who offered a pilkington, OE quality, for a decent price, and I was looking at fitting one anyway, so ordered 2 and they did them at the same time. Just over £400 fitted (each), which I didn’t think was too bad given the extortionate prices for some of the upgrades I’m planning (seats for example).

Pretty decent spec then!

The W8 light is alright, adds a subtle red glow at night, doesn’t really do too much, not off putting at all. I used an ignition live feed instead of a sidelight feed, as there was one already there, so it’s on whenever the ignition is, but you can’t even see it in the day.

Bodywork on mine needs a bit of tlc as well, along the line where the body meets the sills and bottom of the doors, only surface at the moment, so a job for after winter.

I have Heko wind deflectors, I’ve had them before on other vehicles and work well, and to be honest, I hadn’t even heard of the climair ones when I bought them… would be a bit reluctant to put a screw through the plastic trim, but would have to order a spare set of trims for if I ever wanted to remove them. Not even looked into how much they are.

I plan on making mine a “kombi” as want rid of the double seat in the front for a captains passenger, as long journeys on the double aren’t pleasant. And will need seating for 3+ occasionally.

Heated windscreen was from Motorscreens, based in Manchester, but nationwide I think. My Brother’s got a cracked screen couple weeks ago, insurance would only fit “whatever screen you get” which he wasn’t happy with, so looked at VW genuine, to find out of stock, back-order, possible wait of 9-18 months! Rang motorscreens who offered a pilkington, OE quality, for a decent price, and I was looking at fitting one anyway, so ordered 2 and they did them at the same time. Just over £400 fitted (each), which I didn’t think was too bad given the extortionate prices for some of the upgrades I’m planning (seats for example).
Screen is decent at that I’d say and what it gives you on cold mornings
Mines got more dints and scratches at the front and sides. Doesn’t help being a soft red colour! I do miss the captain passenger seat but now I only need 3 seats I’m sticking with me bench.
Hopefully get it insulated and deadened over winter then off to ply guys in the new year. Think I’m just going run a portable power supply such as Clayton or ecoflow for power.
I’m not keen on the screw but heard a lot say it isn’t to bad just take the time when fitting.
Where did you get the heko ones from?

Screen is decent at that I’d say and what it gives you on cold mornings
Mines got more dints and scratches at the front and sides. Doesn’t help being a soft red colour! I do miss the captain passenger seat but now I only need 3 seats I’m sticking with me bench.
Hopefully get it insulated and deadened over winter then off to ply guys in the new year. Think I’m just going run a portable power supply such as Clayton or ecoflow for power.
I’m not keen on the screw but heard a lot say it isn’t to bad just take the time when fitting.
Where did you get the heko ones from?
Not decided on whether to go Clayton type or split charge leisure battery route, but that’s a job for the future so a bit of time to make my mind up yet.
If I have any trouble with my Heko, I’ll have a go with Climair next time. Got the deflectors off Amazon for £30 ish, waited about 2 weeks for them, but wasn’t in a rush, and discounted a bit from what they cost usually. A few of the reviews were critical of the packaging saying they arrived damaged, but mine were fine, packaged well and no defects.

Back