Roof bars - is this normal?

Lee

T6 Pro
So had VW roof bars fitted, which I believe aren't VW but sold by them.

The fitter (conversion company) had issues fitting them and had to trim them down to fit, which sounds horrible it looks ok.

Its only when I look at others though that i notice how different mine are, most others sit on gutter rails, mine don't have these but wondering if they should have been fitted?

Worth noting that I have a skyline roof, not sure if that makes a difference?

20180130_092210.jpg

They are not a good fit & mine leaked into the headlining.

I had to remove them & fill the threads with silicone.

This is a common issue with these "VW Genuine" rails.

They are not a good fit & mine leaked into the headlining.

I had to remove them & fill the threads with silicone.

This is a common issue with these "VW Genuine" rails.

Shit, that worries the hell out of me.

not good, that worries the hell out of me.

I would of thought that the Conversion Company would be aware of the issue & had taken the neccesary measures.

The Bars have a fitting kit which includes 6x Foam Washers which stick over the holes - these alone will not stop water ingress.

Just check that your fitter used some sealer & you'll be fine, if not then take it back & get them to remove / refit (a 15 minute job)

I would of thought that the Conversion Company would be aware of the issue & had taken the neccesary measures.

The Bars have a fitting kit which includes 6x Foam Washers which stick over the holes - these alone will not stop water ingress.

Just check that your fitter used some sealer & you'll be fine, if not then take it back & get them to remove / refit (a 15 minute job)

Top man, thanks, I'll give them a call and check.

Not managed to get in touch with company yet, wanted to check though, how I have them, attached directly to the roof, is that normal, or has mine been fitted incorrectly?

They normally fit into a slot in the roof designed for that purpose. I don’t know how a skyline roof affects that though. Can you show a picture taken further back ?

Pete

My conversion chap wouldn't fit roof bars on my poptop...says it invalidates the guarantee...

My conversion chap wouldn't fit roof bars on my poptop...says it invalidates the guarantee...
I think that depends on the make of the pop-top and who's rails you use, e.g. SCA do their own roof rack system - probably not as aesthetically pleasing as the VW rails but TUV approved to carry up to 50KG across two cross bars.

SCA ROOF RACK SYSTEM

Am I right in thinking that normally skyline roofs have the same bolt holes as a factory roof for bars and rails?

Checked the skyline website and they have roof bars as an additional extra, might check with them what they do.

I've spoke to the installers, my minds been put at rest, they've put the sealant in and explained that the option of having the bars in the usual place isn't an option with the pop top, he also mentioned that the bolts to hold it in place sits outside of the canvas area in the pop top.

They've also warranted the work so yes, more than happy.

Back