RIB

Andrew Wilson

does anyone know if there is somewhere that will do a p/x on a rnr bed for a rib I have a brand new conversion and now realise I should have gone with the Rib

A RIB is make of rock and roll bed. They're widely regarded as the best on the market with the layout and movement of the conversion from seat to bed being unique. The seat is contoured where you sit on the base and back with integrated headrests. The rear part of the bed is horizontal allowing you to have storage underneath and on top where a 'conventional' rock and roll has the rear angled part of the bed reducing the storage space. The base of the seat flips over 180 degrees allowing for stuff to be left on the floor as nothing moves, the back of the bed then folds flat into the space where the base was, the rear of that panel is flat. The rear part is flat but can be moved up and put at various angles.

To the op, the only way i can imagine someone would swap would be through the converter. People who have a RIB wouldn't want to swap to a conventional R'n'r I don't think.

A RIB is make of rock and roll bed. They're widely regarded as the best on the market with the layout and movement of the conversion from seat to bed being unique. The seat is contoured where you sit on the base and back with integrated headrests. The rear part of the bed is horizontal allowing you to have storage underneath and on top where a 'conventional' rock and roll has the rear angled part of the bed reducing the storage space. The base of the seat flips over 180 degrees allowing for stuff to be left on the floor as nothing moves, the back of the bed then folds flat into the space where the base was, the rear of that panel is flat. The rear part is flat but can be moved up and put at various angles.

To the op, the only way i can imagine someone would swap would be through the converter. People who have a RIB wouldn't want to swap to a conventional R'n'r I don't think.

Super-thorough response, but doesn't emphasise the key attraction to us: Because it flips over you sleep on the flat underside rather than the contoured top. Feels more like sleeping on a bed than a chair... I hope.

@drew_greenday - the rear part of your bed is horizontal, whereas ours sits in the upright position when not used as a bed; is that deliberate, or are there different types of RIBs?

The RIB is quite comfortable, but we also have a shaped 2" mattress topper from Comfortz Leisure, and the wife reckons that the van is more comfortable than the bed at home (possibly also because I am banished to the pop top while she's on the main bed with the baby!)

@drew_greenday - the rear part of your bed is horizontal, whereas ours sits in the upright position when not used as a bed; is that deliberate, or are there different types of RIBs?

The RIB is quite comfortable, but we also have a shaped 2" mattress topper from Comfortz Leisure, and the wife reckons that the van is more comfortable than the bed at home (possibly also because I am banished to the pop top while she's on the main bed with the baby!)

All depends what I'm carrying really, under the rear part is usually two boxes full of my climbing kit. Then above are two bags with our clothes in. Then I can pull out the boxes to get access to the climbing kit easily. If I want anything tall stored I'll put the back up!

Love our RIB bed with Duvalay sleeping bags - we came home from a week away last week and I have not had a decent night's sleep since - I'm considering sleeping on the drive tonight lol.

Ours is the same as @drew_greenday pictures above but is boxed in front and back which gives a large storage locker under the seat - this is where we normally store all of our clothes, etc.. We also have the back section flat to provide a parcel shelf; in the lower section we permanently store our outdoor tables, 4 largish chairs, levelling blocks, thermal screens, spare water container, etc.. whilst the top is where we store all of our bedding (rolled up Duvalays and pillows) plus coats, cycle helmets and anything else we can stuff in whilst keeping below the top of the seat backs for transport. Another benefit of the back section tilting up/down as required is for that morning coffee in bed!

We always have ours upright, but might give the parcel shelf idea a whirl, as this would add some much needed depth to the boot

IMG_4923.JPG

We always have ours upright, but might give the parcel shelf idea a whirl, as this would add some much needed depth to the boot

View attachment 12827
Its good because the stuff we put below the "parcel shelf" permanently lives there out of sight and can stay there, if required, for a particular trip/stay without the need to shuffle things around when making the bed up.

Can someone do me a favour.....

Can you measure the exact distance between the side of the Kiravans RIB fitting beam to the chassis. I know the furthest point of the beam
Must be 220mm away but I want to make something out of wood to ensure I fit it straight, that way there will be no issues.

Thanks

Back