Rear Right ABS sensor

Hi all,

ABS/TCS light on dash of my T6. Using Carista I found a relevant fault code stating “Right rear ABS wheel speed sensor: electrical error” (code 00088).

Can anyone advise if this is likely just the sensor? Putting the code into Google doesn’t really help as it appears to relate to any number of unrelated systems.

Cheers!

IMG_8904.png

Try using correct code for the fault - 0088.
Unfortunately Carista pads out the shorter codes with leading zeros.

Can also be just a wiring issue.

ABS sensors are a common point of failure, check the wires going to it and if they are ok then get the sensor swapped, reasonably cheap and a diy job if you can get the wheel off and have some basic tools

That was a wee bit of a challenge to remove - sensor snapped and was held into socket by corrosion. Luckily popping the plastic cap on the rear of the hub I could tap it up from within.

I can’t tell if the ABS ring is in good condition as I can’t even see one - I assumed it would be an obvious toothed ring although can’t say I’ve researched it yet

Hi all, sorry for jumping on this thread. I didn't want to create a new one with this being such a topic. I have replaced my rear right sensor and the garage cleared the code for ABS senor and wheel sensor. However they are back for the same sensor. My brain is now in over drive of how do I fix this. I am thinking the sensor could be a dude as from what I have been reading there would be a 3rd code for if there was an issue with the wiring or module. I am thinking I will still check the wiring behind the light incase there is a break at the factory part. Can anyone shed any light at all?

A little further assistance please all - replaced sensor, reset code using Carista and all was well for the week. Today my wife called to advise the light was on and then going off before coming back on again.

When I replaced the sensor I got the impression the wiring at the wheel was okay but didn’t strip back any sleeves to fully inspect. I’ll check codes tonight as it’s in for MOT tomorrow (typical).

Can anyone provide any further direction please?

After driving to the wife's work, I have rescanned the van after replacing the rear right ABS sensor for a FEBI item. It is showing a code in Carista as 00089 (right rear abs wheel speed sensor: range/performance). Live data shows all wheel speed sensors reflecting the same speed (+/- 1kmh).

I trust the sensor is functioning correctly but concerned as to why this has reappeared. I have now cleared the codes and will rescan once the wife brings the vehicle home.

If anyone has any suggestions this would be greatly appreciated :)

It's worth checking the wheel bearing on that side for any slack. I'm not familiar with Carista but with VCDS I would clear the code and do a live log on a drive until (and while) the light was on in case you have missed any differences in wheel speed. (Obviously the wheel speeds will be slightly different on corners). If you can graph the resulting log on XL it makes it easier to spot any drop-outs or big inconsistencies. Your code is not correct for an ABS sensor it should be 00287 and then a description of the fault.

Back