Rear metal Impact bar missing?

Shaun Witts

Ski Bus
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have just removed my rear bumper in order to fit a tow bar and Cate Carrier and I was surprised to not find the metal cross beam impact bar but rather a plastic moulding.

Can anyone answer whether my 2018 T32 panel van should have had the metal cross member or not? I can't see why it would be missing as I've had the van from new.

The first photo shows the rear just after removing the bumper:
IMG_1051.JPG

This photo shows the plastic moulding removed and on the floor:
IMG_3260.JPG

Thanks.

Maybe something that’s overlooked when people convert panel vans to Kombis / Campers?

When I changed the fixed swan neck towbar that the van came with (factory fit Westfalia with the extension pieces on either side) for a Brinks removable one I felt that the now missing extension pieces were a must have, so I found one of the original metal bars and cut it to fit over the new towbar (removed the two inner bolt holes on either side) gave it a lick of paint and bolted it back in place.
after.jpgbumperbar.jpg

When I changed the fixed swan neck towbar that the van came with (factory fit Westfalia with the extension pieces on either side) for a Brinks removable one I felt that the now missing extension pieces were a must have, so I found one of the original metal bars and cut it to fit over the new towbar (removed the two inner bolt holes on either side) gave it a lick of paint and bolted it back in place.
View attachment 78984View attachment 78985
Like wise here, I've a westfalia removable towbar and and I fitted the impact bar over the top too. DSC_0182_2.JPGDSC_0181_1.JPG

Mine was removed on my Shuttle when a tow bar was fitted. Its currently sat in my shed

I have just removed my rear bumper in order to fit a tow bar and Cate Carrier and I was surprised to not find the metal cross beam impact bar but rather a plastic moulding.

Can anyone answer whether my 2018 T32 panel van should have had the metal cross member or not? I can't see why it would be missing as I've had the van from new.

The first photo shows the rear just after removing the bumper:
View attachment 78960

This photo shows the plastic moulding removed and on the floor:
View attachment 78961

Thanks.

Keen to hear about the Cate carrier. Would you consider doing a review on it?

Thanks for all the replies. I’m glad to have it confirmed that mine would not have had the impact bar being a panel van. So the addition of the tow bar will improve the solidity behind the bumper, though not to the full width of the standard impact bar. I’ve just about finished trimming the plastic moulding to fit around the tow bar as that needs to be retained to support/mount the bumper.

Keen to hear about the Cate carrier. Would you consider doing a review on it?

As for the Cate Carrier: I intend to do a review, though it might be some time before I get all the bits to carry my motorbike.

Back