Rear black smoked LED lights... Legal or not?

RickyG

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I've just read on another Dub forum that the black smoked rear LED lights are illegal for on road use, only legal for off road use and shows..... is this right??

Technically applying film or spray tinting means they do not conform any more (but may still pass Mot). Commercially available smoked/tinted lights should be OK.

One of the issues with tinting is built in reflective strip may no longer work or show red so additional reflector should be added (which looks gash so people don't apply them)

Having tinted lights on many previous vehicles I chose not to on my T6 as I do a lot of mileage and the insurance implications of being rear ended and claiming being unable to see brake/turn signals concerned me.

Technically applying film or spray tinting means they do not conform any more (but may still pass Mot). Commercially available smoked/tinted lights should be OK.

One of the issues with tinting is built in reflective strip may no longer work or show red so additional reflector should be added (which looks gash so people don't apply them)

Having tinted lights on many previous vehicles I chose not to on my T6 as I do a lot of mileage and the insurance implications of being rear ended and claiming being unable to see brake/turn signals concerned me.
Thanks, I should of said in my post, but I was referring to the commercially available rear lights.

The vans have the reflective strip on the bumper so I guess you could tint the stock lights and get away with it but if you went to that effort then I guess you would want to tint the reflectors to match. I have the THQ smoked red led lights on my van and I think they look pretty good (and as said earlier 100% legal) but as soon as I fitted them I wanted to get the reflectors to match. Slippery slope!

Back