Pulling the trigger

Poolman

Just about to pull the preverbal trigger and spend the family savings on a long wanted T6 2014, and just wished to get some reassurance for the purchase. As with most of you, I’m sure....I have been scouring the ads for the right van. It’s a T6 conversion, (no pop top yet) , the standard fit out, sink, fridge, cooker, rock roll bed and leisure battery etc......very clean and tidy. A 2016 plate, had the mass fly wheel done at 76k, full service history with 90 k on the clock, private sale not vat, and is wanting 24k, of our very hard earned, sound ok ?
Having a mechanic check it all over before committing / paying, but am in desperate need of or a . Thankyou guys & gals, hoping to join you all soon

Welcome, end enjoy, there is so much information on here that will help you.
I couldn't even begin to advise you if £24K is a fair price, there are so many variables, different engine outputs etc as well as general condition. It's far easier to value a 2016 Ford Mondeo with 90K on the clock than a T6 which has been converted! Demand seems to have exceeded supply recently with obvious impact on prices.
Keep us posted how you get on!

Welcome, end enjoy, there is so much information on here that will help you.
I couldn't even begin to advise you if £24K is a fair price, there are so many variables, different engine outputs etc as well as general condition. It's far easier to value a 2016 Ford Mondeo with 90K on the clock than a T6 which has been converted! Demand seems to have exceeded supply recently with obvious impact on prices.
Keep us posted how you get on!
Thankyou, yes missed some bits out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, 1.9 diesel highline, blue motion, with a manual gear box. Having searched extensively it seems to be in the right ball park. Thankyou anyhow

A 2014 would be a T5.1 not a T6, unless the late hour is muddling me.

Edit : you said 2016 later on

A couple of safety things you may want to consider as you have a family, so I'm assuming little ones? I've seen some terrible examples that were done cheaply so I would hate for any family to be put into an unsafe position.

Is the bed a tested design?
Was the conversion done by a company or privately?
Is there a gas installation, has it been done correctly and safely?
As above, same with the electrics?

That's a shame the pop top hasn't been done, it's a bit of a pain in the ass to fit one after all the internal work has been done (that's me getting information from a local conversion company)

@Poolman A new pop top will inevitably cost you a few grand. If your factoring that into your investment you might be better buying a nice vat free van and having a professional company convert it to your spec. Autumn 2020 I gave 17.5k for a 18 plate 57,000 miles and 12 k for full conversion, including, full upholstery, M1 rock and roll, night heater, solar and skyline scenic roof.
lot of reddies but at least you know it’s as you want it

Thankyou, yes missed some bits out ‍♂, 1.9 diesel highline, blue motion, with a manual gear box. Having searched extensively it seems to be in the right ball park. Thankyou anyhow
If it's a 1.9 it won't be a T6...

Do you have a link? as others have said there are so many variables that affect price. Also, consider getting a van and doing the conversion yourself so it is exactly to your needs & budget.

Good luck!

Just about to pull the preverbal trigger and spend the family savings on a long wanted T6 2014, and just wished to get some reassurance for the purchase. As with most of you, I’m sure....I have been scouring the ads for the right van. It’s a T6 conversion, (no pop top yet) , the standard fit out, sink, fridge, cooker, rock roll bed and leisure battery etc......very clean and tidy. A 2016 plate, had the mass fly wheel done at 76k, full service history with 90 k on the clock, private sale not vat, and is wanting 24k, of our very hard earned, sound ok ?
Having a mechanic check it all over before committing / paying, but am in desperate need of or a . Thankyou guys & gals, hoping to join you all soon
Hey Poolman good luck with your purchase hope all goes well for you dude :)

If it's a 1.9 it won't be a T6...

Do you have a link? as others have said there are so many variables that affect price. Also, consider getting a van and doing the conversion yourself so it is exactly to your needs & budget.

Good luck!
I thought there was a short overlap? Otherwise it's a late 2015 on a 2016 plate?

Fully agree with what others have said.
Firstly.... slow down... dont let the excitement overtake your rational thinking - this in my experience is the biggest mistake buyers make, they get all excited and just throw money at a van that looks good.
Think in terms of what's right for you - If the bed/seats aren't crash tested and made by a reputable company, and you're going to put your kids in them?
Would you put your kids in seats that weren't crash tested?
Secondly,
I don't support the theory that if the conversion was done privately its not as good as a trader, I could name plenty of traders I know/have met over the years who's work is absolute shite, rushed and quality at the lowest cost/highest profit - but because its shiny and people are excited they buy, and I know a number of excellent one man bands who's work is thorough and of a very high standard - to draw that comparison is just snobbery on the part of people who pay others to do the work because they can't do it themselves.

Interior fit out is largely irrelevant - its all the same lightweight ply or MDF, however much you pay for it - camper interiors are all much of a much, usually when I have a customers van in for a some work, I can tell you what the interior looks like before the door opens, colours vary, quality and fit out are largely the same.

Have you considered the option of sourcing a van and having the fit out done to your own satisfaction by someone you've been to speak to? to a spec that suits your families needs.

You can always add to a conversion as you go along - a lot of the time people will tell me they want this and that fitted, because everyone else has got it/is talking about it... only to find its completely unsuitable for their needs.

Finally, it doesn't matter how great the van looks, you're only concern should be is it mechanically sound - I can assure you a replacement engine, gearbox or a frazzled electrical system will soon make the laminated ply took pretty useless.

And something else to consider - where are you going camping at the moment?
Relax....get your checks done.... do your research.
Its amazing how many people on this forum buy a van without a single scrap of knowledge on how to maintain/ repair it.
VW are great, but believe me, they are not indestructable. And even as a builder, I've had to ask about things I've never come across before on the mechanical side, despite 20 odd years in classic vans and classic minis.
If your vehicle is out of warranty... are you prepared to maintain it? can you afford to repair it?

Bollocks ! (sorry) Cancelled the mechanic & told the seller, I will not be proceeding Thankyou ALL VERY much for the sound advise, I did have a niggly feeling that something was
a-miss, and you confirmed my thoughts, cheers, grateful. OMG......back to the small adds :-( feels like the right move though, cheers

Bollocks ! (sorry) Cancelled the mechanic & told the seller, I will not be proceeding Thankyou ALL VERY much for the sound advise, I did have a niggly feeling that something was
a-miss, and you confirmed my thoughts, cheers, grateful. OMG......back to the small adds :-( feels like the right move though, cheers
what did you find was wrong? out of interest?

There was no overlap with the 1.9 and a T6, I'm not even sure if there were any 5.1s with the 1.9 engine.
Might have missed the point of the convo here, but T5-T6 there was an overlap with CAAB coded engines. My 2016 T6 highline has the same engine as some of the T5.1 models - its a 1.9.

That's a shame, but better to make sure you get the right van that you are happy with.
Exactly Paul! he's probably saved himself a ton of heartache. This is what I say to people who buy my vans...is this right for you? id rather not have a sale than have someone lashing out because this and that isn't right, and they blame me for their hurried purchase.

I am a one for research, and after I tracked down the original owner and spoke with, he said he had the conversion, done by someone who is paid cash too......(in the style of Peter Jones) I'm out ! I want to take my time with this and build it bit by bit, taking informed decisions with it.

Back