Prospective owner

Kyle1403

Hello,
I’m looking to buy a Kombi due to a recent family addition (currently got a 2 seater swb caddy).

I have a list of ‘must haves’ such as air con and a budget (£28k) in mind. I dont mind doing a bit of work and making it mu own, but are there any things to absolutely avoid when buying?

I’ve seen a nice 2016 one for sale at Unique Transportsters in budget, ticks alot of boxes and looks good, but has the CFCA 180 BiTurbo which is massively putting me off since everywhere i look there are horror stories?

Any other general buying advice much appreciated,

Thank you,
Kyle

Welcome.

I also went from a Caddy to a T6. Best thing I did - I loved the caddy but the transporter is on another level, so versatile and practical and it gets under your skin and becomes part of the family.

I’d try and get DSG and either the 140 (Euro 5) or the 150 (Euro 6) engine. If you live in a clean air zone or somewhere that will soon become one then avoid the euro 5.

The early 2015/2016 T6s were Euro 5 and Euro 6 started late 2016.

I would also suggest avoiding the 180 bi turbo.

If you want a Kombi then there are two options - factory Kombi or Kombi conversion from a panel van.

My first van I converted myself and my current van is a factory Kombi - the only difference is the side windows, and some say the aftermarket windows are better than the oem ones anyway as they don’t leak!

If it’s been converted you want to make sure it has been done properly, using genuine parts and has also had the logbook changed from 2/3 seater to 5/6 seater depending on whether you have single or double passenger seat.

You should approach it like any used vehicle, carefully checking the condition inside and out, looking for a detailed full main dealer service history. Timing belt and water pump should be changed at 80k/4 years regardless of mileage so make sure there is documented evidence it has been changed. Also get a history check like HPI.

Don‘t hand over any money without seeing and driving it first - this might seem outdated in the age of buying cars online but I still insist on taking the old skool approach.

With a van there are possible uses that might accelerate wear and tear like multi drop deliveries, builders or other tradesmen - try and establish who owned the van and what it was used for.

You also need to remember the VAT. If the van was bought as a business tool then they will likely have claimed back the VAT which means you will need to pay it when purchasing the van. If it was bought privately or the vat was never claimed back then you won’t.

Try not to get too hung up on ‘+vat’ just compare the final price including vat with other vans - the total price is what matters and a van advertised with vat included will be in the same ball park as one that has its price listed as +vat.

For spec I would suggest Highline as it comes with ac plus several other nice to haves like heated windscreen, cruise control, multi function steering wheel, heated electric door mirrors, reversing sensors, colour coded bumpers and mirrors, multi function computer and more. Startline is the commercial spec with plastic bumpers and Trendline is in between.

Here are a couple of snaps of my previous van and current van :cool:

IMG_2375.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks!
I hadn’t considered trying to gind out if it was a multi drop van etc first, i was just looking to steer clear of anythibg which was clearly a builders van as you say.

Can i ask how much it cost you to convert your previous van to kombi? And did that include the rear seats? I’m struggling to work out when a panel van is a cheaper option and when it becomes less cost effective.

Do the highlines all have power folding mirrors or is that an extra? Some i’ve looked at on a forecourt near here dont seem to have a button for it although they do have electric heated mirrors? Seems trivial but power fold mirrors are a must for me as i have to back it in next to my house and fold the passenger mirror in.

Sorry to bombard you with questions but how is the DSG when menouvering on steep hills? I couldnt find a steep hill to try on a test drive but do have to do alot of reversing on steep driveway.

In addition to the excellent response from @t6blo remember too that if you're looking at vans from 2016 onwards it should have had a cambelt changed at 4 years old, if it hasn't been done and you can see proof, I'd walk away or insist that the vendor has it done prior to money changing hands.

Some great advice here - I just bought a T6.1 panel van for Kombi conversion and luckily seem to have done all of the above!

For me, the “+VAT” prices were a PITA when comparing with net prices, but you get pretty good at adding 20% mentally.

My advice would be not to hang about - I’m not saying you should buy blind, but I found stuff was moving very quickly, so if you see a good likely candidate, get out and see it, as it’ll probably be gone by the weekend!

Godo luck with the search - this forum is a great resource, and window to finding stuff you want but don’t need…

Sorry to bombard you with questions but how is the DSG when menouvering on steep hills? I couldnt find a steep hill to try on a test drive but do have to do alot of reversing on steep driveway.
Mine is a 2018 150 DSG factory Kombi (heated but not folding mirrors). No problems on steep hills, part of the reason for getting the DSG was for driving on steep and narrow roads in North Yorkshire (it's always in the correct gear when weaving between other cars/ tractors and slotting into passing places either forward or reverse).

Thanks for all the advice! I find usually these forums can be a bit ‘clicky’ and unhelpful but this has really reassured me i’m looking at the right things while hunting!

They have hill start/stop too auto brakes on a hill
My manual 150 Highline seems to have some sort of “hillstart assist” or anti-roll function, despite having a manual handbrake…?

Something I would say is, compared to care, transporters seem to have much more individual specs - a lot of stuff seems to have been an option, and very few vans seem to be the same!

Thanks!
I hadn’t considered trying to gind out if it was a multi drop van etc first, i was just looking to steer clear of anythibg which was clearly a builders van as you say.

Can i ask how much it cost you to convert your previous van to kombi? And did that include the rear seats? I’m struggling to work out when a panel van is a cheaper option and when it becomes less cost effective.

Do the highlines all have power folding mirrors or is that an extra? Some i’ve looked at on a forecourt near here dont seem to have a button for it although they do have electric heated mirrors? Seems trivial but power fold mirrors are a must for me as i have to back it in next to my house and fold the passenger mirror in.

In 2019 I spent the following on my Kombi conversion using genuine VW parts except for the windows...

3 seater bench with floor brackets, seatbelts, padded kombi flooring - £1000
Opening windows both sides - £320
Reinforcing chassis plates and upper seatbelt reinforcer - £50ish
Kombi ply panels for seatbelts - £25
Single captains chair for passenger side - £900

Total - £2295

Then to fit it I had to jack up the van, drop the diesel tank, drop the exhaust, remove the undertrays and heatshields, drill 8x holes, bolt in the reinforcer plates and brackets, refit and then inside remove bulkhead, cut holes for windows, bolt in seatbelts, drill hole and fit upper belt mounts, fit kombi padded carpet, sit back and admire.

There are companies that advertise a drive in/drive out 'Kombi in a day' conversion service for similar money but they don't include the single passenger seat.

Fast forward to 2022 and I was on the hunt for another van, this time I wanted a factory Kombi - mainly because I didn't enjoy cutting holes for windows or fitting the seat brackets on the driveway.

I worked out that for a 3 year old van, similar miles, Highline spec, the price difference between a factory Kombi and a panel van (everything else being equal) was around £3500-£4000.

So you definitely save money doing it yourself as with most things.

I absolutely love the DSG in the Transporter. It transforms the van into something more refined and adds to the experience. I've not had any issues with the DSG boxes in either van and that includes reversing up hills etc. The software in the DSG box is designed to 'slip the clutch' in 1st and 2nd to provide a smoother take up. It is really a manual box with a clever bit of tech to change the gears and control the clutch pack.

Not all Highlines have power folding mirrors - it was an option, but as mentioned can be retrofitted.

What can't be retrofitted very easily/cheaply are the factory option LED headlights - definitely worth looking for a van with them fitted.

Back