Potential Head Gasket Problem?

Stanleyontour

VIP Member
Hi all,

Took ownership of my first 204 DSG about 2 months ago from Marshalls in Reading, current milage 28k. It was all going really well!

While reversing out of the drive this morning it felt lumpy and stalled, never done that before. After starting again, drove a mile into the village and noticed lots of exhaust smoke. After picking up a few shopping items on route I drove back down the bypass and home, so about another 3 miles. Just before home the coolant light came on still with lots of smoke and lumpy.

After putting in a litre of water I started it again and ran it in the drive for a few mins. After stopping the engine again I noticed the coolant had dropped again by about a litre.

Do you think, like me, this could be a head gasket with water getting into a cylinder?

I appreciate any thoughts

Hi all,

Took ownership of my first 204 DSG about 2 months ago from Marshalls in Reading, current milage 28k. It was all going really well!

While reversing out of the drive this morning it felt lumpy and stalled, never done that before. After starting again, drove a mile into the village and noticed lots of exhaust smoke. After picking up a few shopping items on route I drove back down the bypass and home, so about another 3 miles. Just before home the coolant light came on still with lots of smoke and lumpy.

After putting in a litre of water I started it again and ran it in the drive for a few mins. After stopping the engine again I noticed the coolant had dropped again by about a litre.

Do you think, like me, this could be a head gasket with water getting into a cylinder?

I appreciate any thoughts
Possibly, or the EGR cooler or charge cooler

Hopefully you have warranty with your recent purchase. If so arrange for them to collect it and repair.
Running an engine with a leaking head gasket will only deteriorate the engine and possibly the DPF.
If the coolant collects in a cylinder while the engine is stopped there is a risk of catastrophic engine damage through hydraulic lock when you turn the engine over on the starter motor.
My advice when dealing with the dealer is to keep emails, messages and record calls.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Hmm.. as above possible EGR or charge cooler can leak coolant into the engine inlet stream and cause white smoke and poor running .......

Deffo needs immediate attention.

Hopefully your purchase warranty will cover any work?

Let us know how they deal with it

Most things go wrong now and then, but it’s how they deal with it

Andy

It will be covered under warranty. Any vehicle purchased gets at least 3 months warranty unless stated purchased as seen.

Reactions: AKG
From a garage I mean but not a private seller but as you’ve bought from a VW main dealer then you will get one years warranty. How old is your bus? Obviously they come with a 3 years manufacturer’s warranty.

Just had a video through from Marshall's in Reading. They have identified it as a leaking EGR valve and will replace under warrantee. Someone asked how old, it is a 68 plate with 28k miles. Had it 2 months. I have a 2 year warrantee and the dealer is providing a positive response - so far.

Thanks for all your comments

Just had a video through from Marshall's in Reading. They have identified it as a leaking EGR valve and will replace under warrantee. Someone asked how old, it is a 68 plate with 28k miles. Had it 2 months. I have a 2 year warrantee and the dealer is providing a positive response - so far.

Thanks for all your comments
Good news. If it’s not having an oil change give it a good long hard drive to get the oil temp over 100 deg C.

Does that help?
The coolant will have been ingested into the engine from the EGR cooler and out through the exhaust.
There is a chance that some coolant will have condensed in the crankcase after finding it’s way past the piston rings.
Hopefully your mechanic will have checked for emulsification of the oil but it won’t hurt to raise the oil temperature for say 30 min’s to flash off any trace of coolant through the crankcase vent.

Back